Pages

▼

Pages

▼

Monday, 20 November 2023

Soldiers of the Queen (SOTQ) Issue 187

The latest issue of the Victorian Military Society's SOTQ (Soldiers of the Queen) arrived by post on Saturday, and I managed to read it yesterday.

The articles included in this issue are:

  • The Egyptian Army at the Battle of Omdurman, 2 September 1898 by Dr Keith Surridge
  • The Fleischer Omdurman Panorama by Professor Ian F W Becken
  • Clash of Empires – The 1879 Anglo-Zulu War
  • Templar Study Centre at the National Army Museum
  • An Irregular Local Corps in the Presidency of Bombay, 1825-100 by David Howell
  • Thirty Years with the Colours by Tim Rose
  • Index to main topics – Part One (of Three) Soldiers of the Queen (Journal of the Victorian Military Society) by volume number (Volumes 1 - 186)
  • Book Reviews by Roger T Stearn and Adrian Greaves
  • Officers of the Victorian Military Society

As usual, there was lots to interest anyone with even a passing interest in Britain's military history of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. One thing that will be extremely useful to me is the index, and although I do not have access to every copy of SOTQ that has been published, knowing where a particular article is will help me in any research I may wish to undertake in the future.

The annual cost of membership of the Victorian Military Society is:

  • UK: £30.00
  • Overseas: £40.00 [except for Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore: £43.00])

As I have written many times before, in my opinion it is well worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Bob -
    I noticed a certain David Howell authored one of the articles. I was wondering if he was the same as one Grandmaster David Howell, 3-time British Chess Champion, and frequently to be seen commentating on chess games on Chess24.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      I suspect that this David Howell is an Australian military historian rather than the chess grandmaster.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.