Pages

Pages

Monday, 20 July 2026

Nothing to see here … and a big ‘Thank You’!

Well, firstly a big THANK YOU to both the staff at University Hospital, Lewisham for the excellence of their treatment and their second-to-none care and to all my regular blog readers who sent me best wishes. The latter was greatly appreciated and I have tried to personally acknowledge all the messages I have received.

So, what happened?

After a very disturbed night’s sleep (I was genuinely worried about what they might find), I awoke at 5.00am (!) on Friday 17th July and by 6.00am I had showered, taken my daily meds, and got dressed … and was waiting for my pre-booked mini-cab to arrive. It arrived bang on time, and by 6.15am we had travelled down Shooters Hill Road (the old Roman Watling Street), across Blackheath, through the centre of Lewisham, and towards Catford. The hospital is located in Ladywell, which is about halfway between Lewisham and Catford.

The entrance to the building where the day surgery takes place was closed, and a notice stated that the doors would be unlocked at 6.30am ... but they weren't until 7.00an, by which time people who had come via the main hospital building entrance were seated in the reception area. So, although I had arrived first, I was towards the back of the queue to be booked in. Luckily, the receptionist booked everyone in before anyone was allowed through to the treatment area/Day Ward waiting room. There we were called forward in the order in which our procedures were going to take place and not in the order we were booked in.

I was called through and shown into a cubicle in the Day Ward, where I was interviewed by the anaesthetist and then the surgeon before signing the consent form. This was followed by the usual tests – blood pressure, body temperature, body weight, height, urine, oxygen blood level, and heart rate – and then I was given a gown and a pair of disposable paper underpants. I changed ... and then waited … and waited … and waited.

Just after 11.30am, the anaesthetist escorted me to the theatre and a local anaesthetic was administered into my spinal area. This took effect very quickly, and by just before midday the procedure – a rigid cystoscopy – began.

The surgeon kindly arranged for me to watch everything on a monitor, and I was struck by the fact that as the cystoscope moved in and out of my body, the pictures of my urethrae, prostate, and  bladder entrance resembled images of planets, particularly Mars!

By 12.20pm my procedure was over and I had been removed to the Recovery Ward, where I underwent yet another set of tests – blood pressure, body temperature, oxygen blood level, and heart rate. Their only concern was my slow heart rate (it was around 60) but they decided that it was not something that needed further investigation. They regularly used a cold spray on the anaesthetised area to check if and when feeling began to return, and once that began, they moved me back to my cubicle in the Day Ward.

Once there, I was given a much-needed cup of tea and an egg mayo sandwich (the first food and drink I'd had since the previous night!) and waited until the feeling fully returned to my midriff and legs. Once it had, I managed to walk to the toilet and have a rather painful pee ... but as this was the last barrier I needed to pass before I could be allowed home, it was very welcome.

The hospital phoned Sue to tell her to come to collected me. She immediately ordered a taxi, and by 5.15am I had thanked all the staff in the Day Ward and walked to the hospital's main vehicle entrance to await the arrival of the taxi. I only had to wait a few minutes, and by 6.00pm I was sitting in my armchair having something cool to drink.

I now have to take things reasonably easy for a few days and to keep well hydrated. I know that having a pee is going to be painful, especially when I have to pass the inevitable blood clots ... but it is a small price to pay to be given an all-clear.


I wrote this blog post on Friday evening, fully intending to upload it on Saturday, but when I awoke late on Saturday morning I was feeling extremely fatigued and decided to leave it for a day or two whilst I recovered, hence the delay.

34 comments:

  1. Good to hear it all went well for you Bob! Best wishes Mark and family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exile FoG,

      Cheers! I had planned for the worst and hoped for the best … and was very happy that the results were better than I had hoped for.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. BOB,
    So glad for you that everything went well and you've been given the all clear. All the best. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Cheers! It’s great to have the worries about my health removed.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Sadly I can empathize with you. Dealing with the whole blood clot thing is a real pain both literally and figuratively. When you come back with an all clear it makes it far easier to deal with. Best wishes that your recovery is swift and the pain ends quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WEK 3,

      Cheers! It’s not a pleasant procedure, but the staff who dealt with me were excellent and the pain is worth it to get the all-clear.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Good to read that you're home and on the mend Bob
    Take it all VERY easy. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      Cheers! It was great to get home earlier than I expected … and I am definitely taking things easy for the next few days.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Ah, blood clots in the bladder, I remember them well.

    Are you drinking 2-3 litres of water a day to keep them moving?

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Duncan (Jim),

      They are very memorable ... but not for a good reason!

      I seem to spend all day pouring water etc., in at one end and waiting for it to come out at the other ... but at least it seems to be working!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Peter Douglas,

      Cheers! It was great to get the all-clear and not to need more surgery.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Ian Callan,

      Cheers! It was great not having to stay in hospital.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear things went well, best wishes for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      Cheers! Its now nearly 72-hours since I got back home ... and the pain if finally beginning to abate a lot.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Donnie McGibbon,

      Cheers! It was better news than I had hoped for.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear the day went well. A big 12 hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket,

      Cheers! It was a very long half-day … and I’m still feeling the effects today.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  11. Hello there Bob,

    All sounds very positive and you are definitely in the best place to recover! Sending continued positive vibes and will catch up with you soon.

    All the very best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Crook,

      It turned out to be a better result than I could have hoped for. The recovery is - however - taking slightly longer than I would have liked, but things are improving as my eyes no longer water every time I go to the loo!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  12. Bob -
    A hurdle cleared is a hurdle behind you. Well done!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      Very true! I am thankful that the procedure is now an experience and not something I have to anticipate.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  13. Best wishes on your continued recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fitz-Badger,

      Cheers! I am recovering, although it’s taking a bit longer than I had hoped.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  14. Excellent news indeed. Take care of yourself and l hope you recover soon,
    Very best wishes
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tradgardmastare (Alan),

      Cheers! It was great to get the all-clear and it means that I shouldn’t need to worry about bladder stones again for some time.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  15. Hi Bob,

    Splendid news, Bob—so pleased to read that everything went as well as it possibly could and that you are back home. Watching the procedure on the monitor sounds like quite the surreal experience! Take it very easy, keep up with the water, and wishing you a swift recovery.

    Cheers, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Bruce (Andy),


      Cheers! I must admit that I was not all that keen to see what my insides looked like … but it turned out to be far more interesting than I expected!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  16. Brilliant Bob, I'm glad you finally got your surgery and it went well. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin Rapier,

      Cheers! It’s great to be able to look back at the procedure rather than to anticipate it happening!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  17. I'm glad to hear that things are improving for you. I seem to be at the beginning of a similar problem, so I read your post with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joppy,

      I was sorry to read that you might also be suffering a similar problem, and hope that my blog post will help to reassure you as to what might happen. Good luck!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.