At the recent COW20026, my old friend Nigel Drury very kindly gave me a model of the INS Nagato to add to my collection of 1/1200th-scale Imperial Japanese Navy ships.
(38,510 tons; 25 knots; 8 x 16-inch guns, 18 x 5.5-inch guns; 8 x 5-inch AA guns; 98 x 25mm AA guns; a catapult; 3 floatplanes)
This will now serve as my fleet flagship, rather as she did for Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto.
My 1/1200th-scale collection of Imperial Japanese Navy warships now comprises:
Battleships
- Nagato-class: Nagato
- Fuso-class: Fuso
- Kongo-class: Kongo; Haruna
Aircraft Carriers
- Kaga-class: Kaga
- Akagi-class: Akagi
Heavy Cruisers
- Myoko-class: Myoko
- Mogami-class: Mogami
- Aoba-class: Aoba
Light Cruisers
- Yubari-class: Yubari
- Isuzu-class: Nagano
- Sendai-class: Sendai
- Chikuma-class: Chikuma; Hirado
Destroyers
- Kagero-class: Kagero; Shiranui; Kuroshio; Oyashio
- Mutsuki-class: Mutsuki; Kisaragi; Uzuki
- Asashi-class: Asashio; Ōshio
- Fubuki-class: Fubuki; Amagiri; Asagiri; Shirayuki; Hatsuyuki; Murakumo; Shinonome; Oboro
- Hatsuharu-class: Hatsuharu
- Shimakaze-class: Shimakaze
- Kaba-class: Kaba, Kashiwa
Quite an impressive little collection, even though I say it myself!

Bob -
ReplyDeleteCollection? I'd call it a fleet!
Cheers,
Ion
Archduke Piccolo (Ion),
DeleteThat’s probable very true!
All the best,
Bob
Hello there Bob,
ReplyDeleteThat is shaping up to be a very impressive collection! Have you thought about aircraft to accompany it?
All the best,
DC
David Crook,
DeleteIt’s one aspect of collecting these models that I haven’t yet settled on. I only have the two aircraft carriers at present … but will probably acquire more in due course.
All the best,
Bob
What do you plan to do with it?
ReplyDeleteConrad Kinch,
DeleteI hope to use them in a wargame at some point.
All the best,
Bob
That's a fine looking version of Nagato and an impressive list of ships too. Only really the Ises, Yamatos, remaining carriers and cruisers to go (and perhaps a few more destroyers), hahahaha!!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, James
James Fisher (James),
DeleteFunnily enough, I hope to acquire a model of an Ise-class battleship soon and some more aircraft carrier and cruisers in due course. Not so sure about the Yamatos ... although I can easily get a Triang Minic model via eBay.
All the best,
Bob
Hi Bob,
ReplyDeleteThat really is a grand-looking fleet! The Nagato makes a superb flagship to top off such a formidable 1/1200th collection—a very generous gift from Nigel. It will make a magnificent sight on the table when you get them into action.
Cheers, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteNigel was very generous. He's a great bloke ... and also an avid collector of 1/1200th and 1/1250th-scale models.
I hope to stage a fleet review at some time in the future, although some of the models will need some work (e.g. minor repairs, some repainting) before I do.
All the best,
Bob