One aspect of the Spanish Civil War that rarely features in the military histories of that conflict is the naval war that was fought by the two sides. Recently, Professor David Manley has published an excellent set of rules for the war entitled A FLEET TORN ASUNDER, and this has sparked considerable interest in the naval aspects of the war.
But where can the interested reader find out more about the Nationalist and Republican navies, how they evolved after the outbreak of the war, what ships they operated, and what naval operations did they mount? One place is Leonard R Heinz's THE FLEET THAT FOUGHT ITSELF: THE SPANISH NAVY AND THE CIVIL WAR 1936-39.
The book has eleven chapters and six appendices:
Chapters
- Backdrop
- Revolt and Response
- The Crucial Strait
- Moves North, Moves South
- The Divided War
- Blockades and Convoys
- The Struggle Shifts Southwards
- Wear and Tear
- Multi-Dimensional Warfare
- Finale
- Conclusions
Appendices
- Abbreviations
- Table of Equivalent Officer Ranks
- Ship Characteristics
- Aircraft Characteristics
- Chronology of the Land War
- The Third Ship, or the Mystery of Cape Cherchell
The book has thirty monochrome photographs and six very useful maps that cover:
- Regions of Spain
- Spain and Its Environs
- Action off Cartagena
- Battle of Cape Cherchell
- Action off Barcelona
- Battle of Cape Palos
This book fills an important gap in the military histories of the Spanish Civil War and will no doubt be of great interest to anyone who shares my interest in the Spanish Civil War.
THE FLEET THAT FOUGHT ITSELF: THE SPANISH NAVY AND THE CIVIL WAR 1936-39 was written by Leonard R Heinz and published by Seaforth Publishing in 2025 (ISBN 978 1 0361 1398 8).
For any reader who wants to find out more about the naval aspects of the Spanish Civil War, I would recommend:
- My own book LA ULTIMA CRUZADA: SPANISH CIVIL WAR MILITARY SOURCE BOOK (which was published in 2017 by Eglinton Books (Hardback: ISBN 978 0 2446 4645 5; Softback: ISBN 978 0 2440 7031 1; Kindle: ISBN 978 0 2446 7050 4))
- WARSHIPS IN THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR (which was written by Angus Konstam, illustrated by Paul Wright, and published in 2021 by Osprey Publishing (ISBN 978 1 4728 4866 6)).
- THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR AT SEA: DARK AND DANGEROUS WATERS (which was written by Michael Alpert and published in 2021 by Pen & Sword Books Ltd (ISBN 978 1 5267 6436 2)).

I wrote a series of articles on the naval aspects of the SCW for Abanderado many years ago, including background, ships, modelling in 1:3000 and some scenarios. It got equal measure praise and complaints about too much naval content!
ReplyDeleteI used your Ultima Cruzada extensively as there was little in English, the internet was in its infancy and it was difficult to obtain Spanish material.
Since I have acquired a series of Spanish books on the various classes of ships - I wish I'd had them then!
Neil
Neil Patterson (Neil),
DeleteI had forgotten the good old ABANDERADO! I still have some copies somewhere … I think!
When I did my research, getting hold of data was problematic. Thank God that it’s got a lot easier these days! There are quite a few books by Spanish authors that have come out over recent years, including several that are very similar in size and format to the Osprey series. These are excellent. … and aren’t too expensive. I buy mine in Cartagena and Coruna if I and when see them.
All the best,
Bob
Bob -
ReplyDeleteThis and your earlier post on this topic is most interesting. One can't help feeling that if one were to 'do' the whole war as a wargames 'campaign' project, one just has to have the naval element - if only to transport troops from North Africa, or for operations against the Balearic Islands.
Having far too many projects already, I have (rather sadly) to keep my own mitts off the SCW, but the campaign might well give me ideas in respect of naval strategy in my Little Great War - especially in the Karadeniz (Black Sea). The Battle of Cape Palos might be fun to do, though the limits of my inventory of ships might mean a heavily disguised scenario; none of my Aeryth Chromatica navies has more than 2 cruisers...
Although one would like to indulge the taste for 'large scale' fleet actions, these smaller clashes do look more accessible and a lot of fun.
Cheers,
Ion
Cheers,
Ion
Archduke Piccolo (Ion),
DeleteRefighting the Spanish Civil War as a campaign would be very interesting … and the naval aspect of the war would need to be included. Early on in the war, the Republicans mounted at least one unopposed amphibious operation in the Balearics, using their battleship as an escort and for fire support. I seem to remember that the whole thing was commanded by an air force officer … which probably explains why it all went wrong!
At present my Belle Epoque project is stalled as I have several other more pressing things I need to deal with. Hopefully, once they are behind me, the tempo of work on it will accelerate … and then who knows what will happen!
In the meantime, I’ll be following your progress with great interest.
All the best,
Bob