After the euphoria produced by our recent cruise, life has brought me back down to earth with a very sizeable bump … and I’m left feeling as if I am in a very bad place. As a result, I may not be blogging very much until I feel a lot more mentally positive.
The reason for this is simple; I have been advised not to use the stairlift that was installed just under two years ago because I am too heavy for it to function safely. This means that I now have to use the stairs to get to the first floor of our house to access our bedroom, the toilet, and the bathroom … and I can only do that very slowly using the bannister, a walking stick, and a great deal of care.
It also means that I cannot now access the top floor of our house … which is where my accessible shower room is located as well as my toy/wargame room. The stairs to that floor are too steep and the rise on each tread is too high for me to climb up there using the bannister and a walking stick. As a result of this ban, those rooms are - to all intents and purposes - out of bounds to me until a solution can be found.
So, what are the stairlift company going to do to help find a solution to this problem?
To date, the answer can be summed up in one word … NOTHING!
They regret that this situation has arisen … but there’s nothing they can do to help. My weight gain - which is a side effect of the drugs I take to stop the spread of my prostate cancer - has put me over the weight restriction for the stairlift we bought, even though we were assured that it would be able to cope if this happened.
At the moment, the stairlift is - in effect - a worthless pile of metal and plastic, and the £9,000 of our savings that we spent on it was a total waste of money.
I am currently feeling very depressed … and until I can see some light at the end of this particular tunnel, I know that I will be entertaining a ‘black dog’. Hopefully, the black dog’s visit won’t be too long.
Because I didn’t get this news about the stairlift until after I had written a blog post about our latest cruise, it - and a couple of others that I had already prepared in advance - should be online over the next few days.
Sorry to hear that. That's really shit. Especially if they told you there would be no issues. Hope you can get some sort of resolution soon.
ReplyDeleteAndy McMaster,
DeleteComing as it did just after our dishwasher decided to flood the kitchen (the outlet pipe came off!), I really felt like someone had it in for me!
Ihave now contacted someone at the stairlift company who is trying to find a solution, but I don’t hold out a great deal of hope.
All the best,
Bob
I very seldom post on any blogs I read, but I just wanted so say that I am truly sorry to hear about your added strife. Sometimes life comes at you hard, and keeps adding rocks to an already heavy load to carry.
ReplyDeleteYou have heard all the wellmeaning advice from everyone ad naseum already I am sure, but can´t help myself reminding you to keep to moving around as much as you can downstairs (ie. training) and keeping yourself hydrated.
Know that even if this is (probably, can´t remember) the first time I post on your blog, I have read and thoroughly enjoyed it for years and years. You brighten up my day in a way you probably don´t know everytime you pop up in my RSS-feed.
Cheers
/Skald
Skald,
DeleteThanks for your kind comments, support, and excellent suggestions. I am going out for a short walk later today and will also be doing my daily stint on my pedalling machine. Both of these will help me clear my mind and exercise my legs.
Please feel free to comment again,
Bob
BOB,
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear of your plight- hopefully something can be done to give you back the use of the stairlift. All the best. KEV.
Kev Robertson (Kev),
DeleteThings like this happen sometimes … and my problem is that my first reaction is always rather negative. Luckily, my wife has ways of helping me to cope … and they area,ready beginning to have an effect. Whereas I look at the stairlift and think ‘Thats a pile of useless scrap’, she is researching on the internet for companies that will buy redundant stairlifts!
All the best,
Bob
I'm sorry to hear this Bob. It's completely understandable that it's difficult to find motivation for hobby activities and blogging when facing such challenges. Hopefully things will be better.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes!
Roger,
DeleteThanks for your kind words of support.
After the initial shock, my wife and I are beginning to find work arounds until a solution can be found. In the meantime, I’m going to blog as and when I feel a bit more positive.
All the best,
Bob
Sorry to hear that Bob. Disappointing reaction from the stairlift company. I would never have imagined that the weight limit could be readily exceeded. Seems like a design flaw given the variability in people's weight.
ReplyDeleteYour wife sounds like a gem!
Nundanket,
DeleteI would have expected better from a large international company … but once they’d made their sale, they seemed only interested in selling an ongoing maintenance contract.
As to my wife … your are right, she’s a true gem!
All the best,
Bob
I'm very sorry to hear about your current troubles. I'm sure there has to be some sort of positive resolution possible. I wish you the best of luck.
ReplyDeleteMark Cordone,
DeleteCheers! I live in hope that a solution can be found … but it’s a slim hope!
All the best,
Bob
I would keep on the Stairlift group to find a solution. I know that getting in your exercise can be a challenge when you feel this way, but keeping at it improves things. Between my last surgery, neuropathy and an unexpected injury I find walking for exercise a challenge.
ReplyDeleteMy only suggestion is keep doing the things you can do that give you enjoyment.
WEK 3,
DeleteI have been told by a company representative that they are trying to find a solution to the problem … but I have yet to find out what it might be. I’m being patient, but I’m not sure I can maintain that.
I am managing to keep up my exercise regime, and I am finding that it helps to make me feel more positive.
Our medical situations seem to be very similar, so I can sympathise with how you feel just as you know how frustrating it can be trying to live with limitations that have resulted from one’s health.
All the best,
Bob
Sorry to hear of your situation Bob.
ReplyDeleteIs it not possible to use a laptop or phone to post? Perhaps your dear other can bring things down stairs for you?
Khusru,
DeleteCheers! Thanks for your kind words of support.
Luckily, I do have a laptop downstairs so I can at least answer comments even if I’m lacking the motivation to blog.
All the best,
Bob
That's a pretty rubbish situation Bob. I hope you get somthing sorted soon.
ReplyDeleteRay Rousell,
DeleteCheers! After the initial shock, Sue and I are finding ways to work around the problem until there is a solution.
All the best,
Bob
Bob, sorry to hear this.
ReplyDeleteHopefully we will see you on the VWC to cheer you up a bit!
Neil
Neil Patterson,
DeleteCheers! A chat on the VWC will certainly help to raise my spirits.
All the best,
Bob
Sorry to see this, Bob. Based on what the Stair Lift company originally told you, it looks like they have some questions to answer.
ReplyDeleteSteve,
DeleteNo doubt they will deny that we were told that the stairlift would be able to cope with my increase in weight. After all, it’s the salesperson’s word against ours … and they’re not likely to accept anything that places a liability on them.
All the best,
Bob
Bob, I am very sorry to hear your news. It seems as if the stairlift company's representatives were too keen to make a sale and let you believe their product would continue to be suitable for you if you gained weight. Perhaps the thought of the bad publicity they will be receiving from your blog and your many readers' reactions reactions to the story might encourage them to be more reasonable. If you were to give us the name of the company we could all bombard them with email complaints. Sue has clearly taken a very pragmatic, practical approach; I hope it may at least lessen your financial loss.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, Arthur
One might do as my brother did when he received poor service. He placed an advertisement in the local paper. it went something like this:
Delete"I recently purchased the services of Snatch, Grabbit & Runne Corporation. I am a dissatisfied customer. For further details, please ring "
He tells ne the first phone call he got was from the outfit that was the subject of his annoyance.
Cheers,
Ion
Arthur1815 (Arthur),
DeleteI’ve been very careful not to name the company until they have had a chance to propose a solution. I know that adverse publicity can sometimes goad companies to do something but I’ve also seen it make them more intransigent. I am doing what I have been told is the best course; give the supplier time to come up with a solution and if they don’t, then to go on the offensive.
Sue and I have decided that if this company cannot find a solution that works, then it’s stairlift is going to be sold an a replacement purchased from a company that can supply one that is fit for purpose.
All the best,
Bob
PS. A clue: pigs love them … and shipbuilders used to rely on what they grew into!
Archduke Piccolo (Ion),
DeleteI have already sussed out several online places where a few words about my disappointment with the product and they way we’ve been treated will be picked up by the company’s PR department as well as the general public. It should have a similar effect as your brother’s advert.
I know, because this is exactly what happened some years ago when the water supply company dug up the road outside our house and then just left us with a big hole and no bus service for days. I wrote about it online (Facebook and X), had a visit from the local newspaper who went online about it … and an ‘urgent’ repair was done within hours.
All the best,
Bob
So sorry to here of your troubles , I do hope things sort themselves out , Cheers Tony
ReplyDeleteThe Good Soldier Svjek (Tony),
DeleteCheers! I am amazed at the level of support I’ve been receiving from other members of the hobby. It’s quite humbling.
All the best,
Bob
That royally sucks. It's okay to react that way when it hits you, too. The next step is to try to look at what can be done, after a good wallow. It's great that your wife has ways of helping you cope. Best wishes! I hope something can be sorted out to allow you to enjoy hobbies and do things you want to do, along with things you need to do.
ReplyDeleteFitz-Badger,
DeleteI’m trying to make this as positive an experience as I can … and my wife is helping me to do so.
I actually managed to get up to the top floor of the house this morning using the banisters and a walking stick. It wasn’t easy … but I felt so much more positive afterwards that the effort was worth it, I won’t be able to do this often (it’s very tiring!) but at least I can access my toy/wargame room again.
All the best,
Bob
Bob -
ReplyDeleteThere are times at which one feels the urge to go out and smite something - real hip and thigh country. But there are plenty of curbs to such expressions of rage - not least being one's conscience - which rather stokes up the blood pressure.
It is sad to read of this extra misfortune that has descended upon you, with no satisfactory solution in sight. Of course I have selfish reasons for my reaction to your situation. I'll be missing your entertaining blog posts.
Best regards,
Ion
Archduke Piccolo (Ion),
DeleteI have an old friend (he’s ex-SAS) who always says that life’s a bitch … but you’ve got to carry on regardless … and that’s what I intend to do as best I can.
I went to the games club last night, and my character - a Viking berserker - had the opportunity to fight some very vicious beasts that had already wounded some of my companions. I attacked … and my dice throws were phenomenal and I killed two of them in consecutive turns. Boy, did I feel good afterwards!
All the best,
Bob
Bob, that is awful news. How depressing for you. It is no wonder you are feeling the way you do. Keep on at the stairlift folk, hopefully it will worth it.
ReplyDeleteTradgardmastare,
DeleteCheers … and thanks for your words of support.
I am giving the stairlift company until Friday to find a solution, but after that, the gloves are coming off!
All the best,
Bob
Dreadful news, Bob. To be told one thing when shelling out a serious sum of savings, only to have the rug pulled out later, is proper infuriating. You have every right to feel thoroughly fed up.
ReplyDeleteHaving built up a great friendship with you through our chats, I truly sympathise with what you're going through. As you know from our previous conversations, I've got my own health struggles to deal with, so I know just how soul-destroying it feels when a new hurdle gets thrown in your way.
It's brilliant to hear that you're keeping active with your walks and pedalling machine. Take all the time you need away from the keyboard—the blogosphere will be right here waiting when you feel up to returning.
Best wishes, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteMy initial reaction was anger, followed by despair, and now it’s become a sort of cold, hard resolution to get what’s due to me.
I may not be as physically robust as I used to be due to my age and infirmity … but I still have the ability to communicate very effectively when the need arises. Working in a private bank when I left school trained me how to write polite letters that can be very incisive and forceful when needed.
Even after a day or so, I can feel the desire to blog returning … just as I can feel the influence of the ‘black dog’ diminishing.
All the best,
Bob
That's the spirit, Bob! They've clearly underestimated who they're dealing with—a well-crafted, razor-sharp letter from a seasoned hand can work absolute wonders.
DeleteSo glad to hear the black dog is backing off and the blogging itch is back. Go get what's yours!
All the best, Andy
Andrew Bruce (Andy),
DeleteI am expecting them to telephone me tomorrow … but if they don’t, I’ll begin drafting my letter of complaint.
All the best,
Bob
Sorry to hear that the stair lift company is telling you that the stairlift can't be used due to your weight, having told you it was safe to use after weight gain. If you paid for any part of the stair lift by credit card you can get all your money back under section 75 of the credit card act. As the item is not fit for purpose.
ReplyDeleteWillz.
Tiberian general (Willz),
DeleteCheers! Thanks for your suggestion.
Unfortunately we paid by BACS rather than credit card, otherwise we could have pursued a refund because the stairlift isn't 'fit for purpose'.
All the best,
Bob
Sorry to hear this. Do you have anything in writing where they said it would still be safe to use after weight gain? If you have, seems like you would have a good case against the company as their product is not fit for purpose.
ReplyDeleteRob Young,
DeleteWe have been going back through our files to see if we can find anything in writing where the promise that the stairlift would be able to deal with my weight has been recorded ... but at the moment, we have not found anything.
We will continue our search ... but we are not holding out much hope that we-will be able to find anything.
All the best,
Bob