Pages

Pages

Saturday, 19 September 2026

Per aspera ad meliora

Yesterday I did something that I didn’t think was possible … I climbed up to the top floor of our house using the banisters and a walking stick … and was able to use my accessible shower!

This was not an easy task, but I took things carefully and slowly … and proved to myself that I am NOT dependent on my currently defunct stairlift.

Since then, I’ve repeated my journey up and down stairs a couple more times, and I’ve actually been able to spend some time in my toy/wargame room doing some tidying up.

Things certainly seem to be improving … and the ‘black dog’ is no longer sniffing around!


'Per aspers ad meliora' translates from Latin into English as 'Through hardships to better things'.

26 comments:

  1. BOB,
    This is good news that you were able to reach the top floor- need not worry about the stairlift. I thought perhaps you may want to move into a single story home and have everything on one level. All the best. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      We have been looking for a bungalow in our local area for over two years, and although we have looked at quite a few, they have all been unsuitable for various reasons. We will carry on looking, but in the meantime we've got to carry on living where we are.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Send that dog packing with its tail between its legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      He's still sniffing around ... but things are a lot better than they were!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob -
    Great news. Long may it continue!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      Cheers! I hope that things will get better over the next few weeks.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Way to go! Glad to see you are tougher than you gave yourself credit for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WEK 3,

      I am now going up and down to the top floor at least three or four times each day ... and its getting easier each time!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Great news, Bob. Amazing what one can do if one takes it one step at a time - literally in your case!
    All the very best
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,

      Cheers! One step at a time pretty well sums things up!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Great, well done Bob. That is very good news, a real confidence booster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin Rapier,

      It was such a relief to be able to get up to my shower and my toy/wargame room!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Great news! Hopefully it will get a little easier with each repetition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      Cheers! Each time I go upstairs under my own steam, it gets a little bit easier.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. Huzza that man ! , take it easy now , but great news , Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Good Soldier Svjek (Tony),

      Cheers! I’m quite literally taking one step at a time … and getting there slowly.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. Big thumbs up, Bob! I'm glad you're able to get around the house on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      Cheers! It’s shown that my mobility has improved more than I had realise.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  10. Delighted to hear this . As the song says , the only way is up…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tradgardmastare,

      Cheers! The going up - and coming back down again - is not easy but it is achievable … just!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  11. Proper heartening news, Bob! What a brilliant victory over circumstance—and getting back to your shower and wargame room makes all the effort well worth it.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Bruce (Andy),

      Being able to get to my shower and toy/wargame room has raised my morale and helped me ‘see off’ the dreaded ‘black dog’.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  12. Great news! And it certainly beats the hassle/stress and cost of moving. (Also fascinating to get another cruise update, not least for its insight into the whole cruiser experience for those of us who haven't experienced it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toby E,

      Cheers! When we could not find a suitable bungalow nearby, we decided to stay where we were and modify the house to make it more accessible. The stairlift was part of this … which is why it was so annoying when the problem with it arose.

      However, I have now discovered that my exercise regime has built up my leg muscles more than I had realised.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.