Pages

Friday 19 September 2008

Tarred and Featherstoned - My latest version of Red Flags and Iron Crosses

When I got my newly printed copy of Donald Featherstone’s War Games (see post below), I spent a lot of time reading and re-reading the chapter that contained the two sets of ‘modern’ (i.e. World War II) wargames rules.

I had played a game with Lionel Tarr’s rules at COW2005, but had not used Donald Featherstone’s much simpler rules for many years. As I have a lot of Hexon II hex terrain (see http://www.kallistra.co.uk/) I decided to ‘convert’ the rules so that I could use hexes rather than measuring movement distances and weapon ranges. This turned out to be a bit of a Pandora’s box.

The process of ‘conversion’ was fairly simple, but I soon realised that the resulting rules ended up looking very similar in many respects to the most recent draft of my own World War II wargames rules, Red Flags and Iron Crosses (RF&IC). At this point I decided I would be better off ‘improving’ RF&IC by incorporating ideas and mechanisms from both Donald Featherstone’s and Lionel Tarr’s rules.

The new ‘Tarred and Featherstoned’ version of RF&IC is now complete, and I hope to begin play-testing them this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.