Pages

Wednesday 10 June 2009

Wargame Rules for the late 19th and early 20th centuries in PDF format

I have turned the draft of these rules into a four-page A5 booklet that can be printed back-to-back. They are available in PDF format from here. The password to access the rules is grid19-20v1.

The following images give some idea what the armies I intend to use in the play-tests will look like.

A 36-point Mahdist Army. It consists of 5 stands of Jihadia Riflemen, 8 stands of Mahdist Spearmen, 2 stands of Mahdist Cavalry, 2 stands of Mahdist Camelry, a stand of Smooth-bore Mahdist Field Artillery, and a Command stand = a total of 19 stands.

A 36-point Anglo-Egyptian Army. It consists of 4 stands of British Regular Infantry, 4 stands of Egyptian Regular Infantry, 2 stands of Egyptian Regular Cavalry, a British Machine Gun stand, a stand of Rifled British Field Artillery, 2 stands of British Transport, and a Command stand = a total of 15 stands.
If the play-tests are successful I will begin building up other small armies that I can use with these rules.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    I like the nice small-scale idea, which has long been a favourite of mine. One thing occurred to me recently, which I meant to ask - do you have any campaign rules at all?

    I like your battle-rules (I've got a copy of your operational rules to have a try) but as you like campaigns, I thought I'd ask how you link your battles together - I usually struggle, and thought you'd have some good ideas!

    Ta, and keep up the good work!

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig,

    Thanks for your kind words.

    Small-scale battles and campaigns have so many advantages - especially in the cash-strapped times. DBA/HOTT (and their derivatives) are one solution but what put me off was the fact that whenever I played them with someone else the time it took to measure everything seems out of proportion to the benefits. That is why I think that rules that use grids are so much better.

    Incidentally Phil Barker played in the session I put on at COW some years ago when I demonstrated SCWaRes, and commented that had he been designing DBA again he would have used a gridded the playing surface because it speeded play up and avoided the problem of whether or not something was in range.

    I have never actually developed a proper set of campaign rules ... campaigns just seem to unfold of their own accord once they start. I suppose that I should develop some, and this could be my next step after I have play-tested my current rules.

    Thanks for the idea. All I have to do now is find my copy of Donald Featherstone’s WAR GAME CAMPAIGNS.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.