Pages

Friday 16 October 2009

Joseph Morschauser’s grid-based wargames rules for the 'Musket' period – Some developments

After yesterday’s blog entry about Joseph Morschauser’s gridded wargames rules I got the following email from Ross Macfarlane, the creator of the WITH MACDUFF ON THE WEB website:

Hi Bob, can't leave comments on your blog so I thought I'd drop you a note. Mike Tabor's Historifig site has a copy of a set of gridded Ancients Rules by Joe Morschauser. The mechanisms are quite different (though still using his usual melee and missile fire concepts), but the board looks very similar. Here's the link:

http://www.tabletoptalk.com/?page_id=335

They also have an old Tabletalk bio at http://www.tabletoptalk.com/?page_id=322

cheers,

Ross
http://www.lochsloy.ca/macduff.htm
The entry on the Historifig website that Ross refers to has the transcribed text of the same article from MINIATURE PARADE that I mentioned yesterday.

Comparing that with the text of the ‘Frontier’ rules, it is possible to see that there are common elements and mechanisms used in both sets of rules. However the latter do read like they are the rules that were being used in wargames featured in the famous photographs in Joseph Morschauser's HOW TO PLAY WAR GAMES IN MINIATURE and Donald Featherstone’s ADVANCED WAR GAMES (see my blog entry of 16th December 2008) and are not the elusive ‘Musket’ period rules that used a one-inch squared grid.

What I now have are:
  • A copy of the Ancient/’Shock’ period rules
  • A description of the ‘Musket’ period rules from an article featured on the VINTAGE WARGAMING blog
  • A copy of the ‘Frontier’ rules
  • A copy of Joseph Morschauser's book HOW TO PLAY WAR GAMES IN MINIATURE
Using these sources, a bit of luck, and my experience of game design I should be able to produce something akin to Joseph Morschauser’s grid-based wargames rules for the 'Musket' period.

Once I have done that … well, I can't not try them out, can I?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,
    Can't seem to get the links you've posted to work ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. jfidz,

    Thanks for letting me know about this problem.

    For some reason I cannot explain the html code that I wrote containing the links was somehow corrupted when it was uploaded and changed some of the links to the blogger.com default.

    I have now corrected the problems and the links should work (well they did when I tested them!).

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.