Pages

Thursday 22 January 2015

Miniature Wargames with Battlegames Issue 382

The February issue of MINIATURE WARGAMES WITH BATTLEGAMES magazine arrived in the post this morning, and I have spent a couple of very relaxing hours reading it.


The articles included in this issue are:
  • Briefing (i.e. the editorial) by Henry Hyde
  • World Wide Wargaming by Henry Hyde
  • Forward observer by Neil Shuck
  • Hanky planky: The continuing tales of a wargames widow by Diane Sutherland
  • Fantasy Facts by John Treadaway
  • Debacle on the Danube: Designing a campaign game by Steve Jones
  • Gravelines: Wargaming with Vauban fortresses: part 3 by Henry Hyde
  • Hammerhead 2015: Official Show Guide
  • Send three and fourpence by Conrad Kinch
  • Mongol campaigns in Syria: Part 2: The Battle of Hims, 1281 by Mick Sayce
  • Passing the torch by Mike Hobbs
  • Rapid Fire is 21: How a ruleset can remain popular for decades by Richard Marsh
  • The Battlegames Combat Stress Appeal report by Henry Hyde
  • Hex encounter by Brad Harmer
  • Recce
  • The Featherstone Annual Tribute by Henry Hyde
The first thing that struck me as I read through this issue was the fact that RAPID FIRE was celebrating its twenty first year in print. I must admit that I had not realised that it had been around for quite so long, and although I have never used them (I prefer to fight my World War II wargames at a slightly higher command level), I did find them inspirational.

Other items of note are:
  • A mention of Conrad Kinch's JOY AND FORGETFULNESS blog in the World Wide Wargaming section
  • Conrad Kinch's own Send three and fourpence section, which looks at ways in which limited ammunition supply can be represented on the tabletop
  • Steve Jones's Debacle on the Danube article, which describes how he set up this particular wargames campaign and that includes a description of how he created his campaign map, the Orders of Battle of both sides, and his simple campaign rules. Lots of useful and informative stuff.
Yet another excellent issue of what has become my favourite wargames magazine.

6 comments:

  1. I'm really struggling to find reading time for any magazines.

    I have 4 magazines from the last two months waiting to be read, I think I may have read 2 or 3 articles from them.

    I normally read for an hour last thing at night but I have been ploughing through the 5 volumes of Game of Thrones, on book 5 now and I'm very loathe to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim Duncan,

    One of the joys of being retired is how much reading I can do as and when I want to. It is one reason why I don't have a large backlog of books and magazines to read ... at the moment.

    I must admit to not even looking at any of the GAME OF THRONES books or games as yet. They look very tempting, and I suspect that like you I would have to read the whole lot in sequence ... and even I might baulk at that! Good luck with your efforts, which sound as if they are almost over.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    Beware of Game of Thrones. Hugely addictive. I came late to the party so only started watching the TV series about a year and a half ago. Devoured all of them in v short order and then read all the books last year. I am not in any way a fantasy type person but I am sure you would hugely enjoy them. I think I can guarantee that if you even dip your toe in them there will be no going back.

    It is also one of the very few series I know where there has been no drop off in quality and the later episodes are just as good as the first. If you are however of a nervous disposition and not keen on watching screen violence then GOT is probably not your cup of tea.

    Regards,
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guy,

    Your warning has reinforced my apprehension as to whether or not to start reading GAME OF THRONES. I am not a great lover of fantasy, although I love the work of Tolkien. (Tolkien's work is so heavily rooted in Anglo-Saxon mythology that it seems to feel 'right'.)

    Perhaps I might 'save' my introduction to the series until I am going on a long cruise. That way I will have plenty of time to 'get into' the books.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bob
    Hope you liked the campaign article.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve,

    I have read the article several times because I found it full of good ideas, and I hope to incorporate some of them into a campaign I want to run later this year.

    I look forward to reading more of your articles in future issues.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.