Pages

Thursday 9 July 2015

A bump in the road ... has put me mind of a song from my youth

Back in 1962 Bernard Cribbins recorded a comedy song entitled 'Hole in the ground', and recent events have put me in mind of that song ... and judging by some of the comments made in response to yesterday's blog entry, I am not alone in that!

The lyrics are as follows:
There I was, a-digging this hole
A hole in the ground, so big and sort of round it was
There was I, digging it deep
It was flat at at the bottom and the sides were steep
When along, comes this bloke in a bowler which he lifted and scratched his head
Well he looked down the hole, poor demented soul and he said

Do you mind if I make a suggestion?

Don't dig there, dig it elsewhere
You're digging it round and it ought to be square
The shape of it's wrong, it's much much too long
And you can't put hole where a hole don't belong

I ask, what a liberty eh
Nearly bashed him right in the bowler

Well there was I, stood in me hole
Shovelling earth for all I was worth
There was him, standing up there
So grand and official with his nose in the air
So I gave him a look sort of sideways and I leaned on my shovel and sighed
Well I lit me a fag and having took a drag I replied

I just couldn't bear, to dig it elsewhere
I'm digging it round co's I don't want it square
And if you disagree it doesn't bother me
That's the place where the holes gonna be

Well there we were, discussing this hole
A hole in the ground so big and sort of round
Well it's not there now, the ground's all flat
And beneath it is the bloke in the bowler hat

And that's that

2 comments:

  1. I have a CD of Bernard Cribbins songs that I bought a few years ago. I play it in the car when we go on holiday and the whole family ends up singing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee Hadley,

    I cannot think of a better way for a family to enjoy a long car journey than to sing along to a Bernard Cribbins CD.

    My favourite is probably 'Right said Fred', with 'Hole in the ground' and 'Gossip calypso' close behind.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.