Pages

Saturday 24 February 2018

A busy weekend

I am paying a flying visit to Bristol today to see an old friend (and fellow wargamer) Installed as the Worshipful Master of his Bristol-based Masonic Lodge. The meeting will be followed by what we Freemasons call a 'White Table', which is a celebratory meal where non-Masons (usually wives, other family members, and friends) are invited. My wife has accompanied me to Bristol, and whilst I am in the meeting, she will no doubt be undertaking some retail therapy. She will be joining me for the 'White Table', after which we will drive back to London.

We could have stayed overnight in Bristol, but as the weather forecast isn't good (snow is predicted for Monday) and the CAVALIER wargame show is taking place in Tonbridge, Kent, tomorrow, we decided to drive back home to South East London tonight. With luck (and assuming that the weather is not too bad), I should be able to go to Tonbridge tomorrow ... where I hope to meet up with some of my fellow wargame bloggers, buy one or two items for my current projects, and see my PORTABLE WARGAME rules in action!

Looks like I am in for a busy (and hopefully very enjoyable) weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      As you will see from the blog entry I will be writing later this morning, we had a great time in Bristol ... but that by the time I got home on Saturday evening I had a raging cold that stopped me going to Tonbridge.

      I'm feeling a bit better today, but have woken up to find it snowing outside and all the snowy weather gear we own is in the garden store! After breakfast I am going to wrap up and go and get it just in case we need it as the week progresses.

      Retirement can certainly be busier than working!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Heinz-Ulrich von Boffke (Stokes),

      Cheers, old chap! We had a great time away, even if I did manage to come down with a heavy cold on the way back!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Enjoy.. .I'm missing Cavalier tomorrow for the first time in ages. I had a sneak preview of the Portable Wargames game earlier this week and it looks excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alastair,

      Due to coming down with a heavy cold, I didn't make it to Cavalier this year. I am hoping to see some photographs of the PW game, which I understand was very well received and looked splendid.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. BOB,
    Snow? What IS Snow? Seriously- I am envious Bob- never seen snow....except the remnants thawing out on the hills about the township of Mittagong (NSW)- not to far from home (60km)...if I'd have been in the area there the day before I would have seen snow fall..drats! ( Maybe this year). Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson,

      Snow is great to look at ... but it can make life difficult if there is a lot of it and it doesn't melt quickly.

      They are predicting that we will have snow for the next four to five days, and it is snowing as I write this reply. Luckily it is not settling too much at present, but it looks as if it will be much heavier later today, with blizzard conditions later in the week. My wife and I plan to get the snowy weather gear (salt, shovels etc.) that we own out of the garden store this morning, and then only go out if it is absolutely necessary.

      This might sound a bit drastic, but back in the early 1960s we had a spell of six weeks when it was snowy and icy, and at times it was downright dangerous to venture outdoors.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.