Pages

Monday 12 September 2022

Might as well admit it I’m addicted to … imagi-nations?*

During odd moments over the past few months I have been putting together a guide to the imagi-nations I have created for my Belle Époque project ... and began to realise just how much I enjoy the process of creating them.

The process involves an understanding of the military and political history of the period as well as some knowledge of geography and vexillology (i.e., the study of flags), and to me it is as interesting and absorbing as some people find – for example – genealogy. (I used the latter as an example because my wife is a genealogist, and when she gets on a 'track' [i.e., tracing one of the more obscure members of her family] she can become absorbed in the process for hours ... and sometimes for weeks and months!) Furthermore, once you have created one imagi-nation, there always seems to be the need to create another to act as a adversary ... and then another to possibly act as an ally to either side ... and then another ... and another ... and by that time you are addicted to creating imagi-nations!

Many years ago, Graham Evans (who writes the Wargaming for Grown Ups blog as well as being a prolific wargame designer) wrote two articles that were published in Wargames Illustrated (Nos. 24 [August 1989] and 37 [October 1990]) in which he identified several wargaming 'types':

  • The Boardgamer
  • The Traditionalist
  • The Re-Enactment Man
  • The 1500 Point Man
  • The Fantasy Frother
  • The Pseudo-Wargamer

Having recently re-read the articles, I seem to have become somewhat of a 'Traditionalist' as I have aged although I did notice that I also seem to share some of the characteristics of several of the other 'types' Graham identified. I would therefore like to suggest that I fall into a not-so-new-but-not-yet-identified 'type', The Imagi-nation Man.

The Imagi-nation Man is often a solitary wargamer who enjoys collecting and painting toy soldiers for a specific period but acknowledges that they will never be able to replicate the armed forces or the battles of that period in full. They like to fight wargames that have a before and after narrative, but they deem accuracy to be less important than 'fun' and are happy to incorporate a degree of anachronism as long as it isn't too glaring. (For example, no AK47's during the American Civil War, but wargame armies wearing styles of uniforms from the 1870s are quite acceptable when seen alongside ones wearing uniforms from the 1890s.)

The Imagi-nation Man is not a 'rivet counter', and although they are probably very knowledgeable about the weaponry etc., of the historical period they enjoy most; to them a rifle is a rifle is a rifle and a cannon is a cannon is a cannon. They tend to favour what appear at first glance to be simple, playable rules that use easy-to-remember game mechanisms but that are also subtle in the way they work and the results they generate, and although they may fight a lot of their wargames solo, they do enjoy the social side of the hobby, and will gladly fight wargames with like-minded wargamers who are happy to overlook their mild eccentricities.

'El Presidente' of that little-known South American imagi-nation of Paprika. At the time when this scurrilous cartoon was drawn, Paprika was involved in an arms race with neighbouring Ribena, and 'El Presidente' decided that in the circumstances the country needed to be ruled with a firm hand. In this he was assisted by the 'rather dubious head of intelligence, about whom the less said the better', seen above in the somewhat Bond-like pose behind 'El Presidente'. It is rumoured that former head of intelligence is now a senior professional wargamer and probably one of the oldest soldiers still wearing the uniform of the British Army, whereas 'El Presidente' resides in retirement somewhere in Southeast London, living on his dreams and a meagre pension. Any resemblance between the characters featured above and real people is not coincidental!

This is Imagi-nation Man ... or at least my version of him! I wonder just how many of my regular blog readers identify with my description of this wargaming 'type'?


* With apologies to the late Robert Palmer.

24 comments:

  1. Hello there Bob,

    Reading elements of your post could arguably be like looking in a mirror for me in many ways! I am certainly happy to fight historical games but am equally comfortable where the armies or navies are fictitious or ‘based upon’ and yes, the need for a before and after narrative becomes even more important to set the action into context.

    I have been active in the imagi-nation/naval stakes but ironically have made use of what are existing fictitious backgrounds - Fezia and Rusland being a case in point, along with (up to a point) Madasahatta.

    Many years ago I started work on a pair of 18th century imagi-nations - the Electorate of Kronenbourg and the Grand Duchy of Artois - but I never really got them off the ground although I did manage to find names for all the units in the respective armies (chiefly based around names of beers and wines).

    Your Belle Époque project has certainly been an inspiring read and has certainly given me plenty of ideas to undertake my own imagi-nation style journey.

    Something to think about in any event.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Crook,

      Judging by the number of comments I’ve already received, there are quite a few examples of Imagi-nation Man out there!

      I have fond memories of Fezian and Rusland … and Madasahatta holds a special place in my heart. I’d love the read more about the Electorate of Kronenbourg and the Grand Duchy of Artois. They sound like they were a lot of fun to create!

      I’m very pleased that you’re enjoying my Belle Époque project. It is a great way to tidy up a lot of loose ends in my collection and to find a renewed purpose for some of the older figures in my various collections.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Hi Bob, I'm currently writing the turbulent history of a small (and seedy) Latin American nation as a background to a P.W. campaign. I'm using Liberty or Death (Osprey) for source material . I might have already mentioned San Guano in a previous message, well it's taking on a life of it's own now.
      Take Care,
      Tony.

      Delete
    3. Tobyjones (Toby),

      That sounds like a very interesting imagi-nations campaign! I’ve set several mini-campaigns set in South America (including a civil war set in Cordeguay), and it is an ideal location in which to set imagi-nations.

      Good luck with your project.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. BOB,
    A very apt description of an Imagi-nations Player. Most of the Imagi-nations enthusiasts I've read about enjoy Solo Gaming...I like the fun bit of thinking up your own Nations and Flags and Maps and choosing Army Uniform Color Schemes- all of this is very appealing. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I’m glad that you thought that my description of Imagi-nation Man. I suspect that there are quite a few of us out there.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Interesting post. I am not a wargamer but very much an Imagi-Nations enthusiast. I very much agree about the fascination of creating multiple "new" nations as adversaries together with the history etc of those nations. I have tried to do just that in my series of such posts too. Just another aspect of the all encompassing nature of our most varied hobby. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony Adams,

      As I wrote in the title of this blog post, it’s very easy to become addicted to creating imagi-nations. It’s great to know that I’m not the only person who is ‘suffering’!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I would say I'm certainly part Imaginationman, Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      Welcome to the Imagi- action Man’s club!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. I think that sums up my approach to gaming these days rather nicely :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      May I welcome you to the Imagi-nation Man’s club!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Hi Bob

    I have always been tempted to create an Imagi-nations campaign. But the concept runs counter to my desire to create an historical background to fictional campaigns and battles.

    Many years ago I decided that trying to refight historical battles was not for me. Apart from having to collect and paint figures to create an order of battle for a small part of the Napoleonic period, I found that wargame rules are not really suitable to fight historical battles. Given the element of dice, and the restrictions of trying to cover all possible situations, it is usually just good luck if you have a similar result to the historical one.

    When I created my current 1813 campaign I based the strategic situation on January 1813. But I created my orders of battle from the figures in my collection (much as you do). And once the campaign started I abandoned any attempt at historical recreation.

    But I soon found that it was very hard to fight a wargame campaign using actual maps,even historical ones. And even more so to research national boundries in 1813. And it is in my map making that the concept of Imagi-nations came to my rescue.

    My maps have real cities and towns in a reasonable relation to current maps. But the terrain and road systems are fictional, as are the national borders. This allows me to campaign for actual towns and cities, without having to try to recreate the actual terrain and road system. Certainly not an answer that would appear to many wargamers.

    But how true is the expression "everyone to their own". As long as it makes the player happy who cares.

    regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thistlebarrow (Paul),

      I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the way in which you have focused your wargaming in such an effective way. It reminds me somewhat of Lionel Tarr’s refight of the Eastern Front during World War II. I don’t know if he every finished his campaign because reports stop after he reached Stalingrad, but I suspect that he did. Like you, he revised his rules and TOEs as his campaign evolved, and replaced the models etc., that he used as newer, better models became available.

      Your campaign maps may not be 100% geographically accurate, but as I’ve found in my ongoing Franco-Prussian War of 1810, in my opinion function trumps accuracy every time!

      What I love about wargaming is the sheer range of different approaches it encompasses, and the fact that we can have exchanges like this is the icing on the wargaming cake!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Bob, and Thistlebarrow (Paul) -
      I reckon the type of imaginary-historical campaigns that you run, Paul, qualifies as imagi-national. I do the same with my own Napoleonics, American Civil War and WW2. But some of my projects - Jono's World and Chromatic Wars (that started out as RED vs BLUE but which now includes TURQUOISE, GREEN with a side-order of GREY (and possibly BLACK) - are entirely imaginary. My Wholly Romantic Empire lies somewhere between.

      Me thinks the Imagi-Nations war games genre has a spectrum all of its own.

      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
    3. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      I think that you are right about there being a spectrum of imagi-wargaming that extends from full-blown sci-fi and steam punk, through imagi-nations, to imaginary campaigns set in a real world setting.

      I don’t remember reading about your Wholly Romantic Empire before. It sounds do very interesting.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. I'd forgotten those articles, with the excellent Dormouse cartoons. That's either me or Tim Price leaning behind you, if memory serves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trebian,

      I have copies somewhere in my file of magazine clippings.

      It’s Tim Price standing behind me … unless you are also an ancient soldier!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. My intro to Wargaming was a Featherstone book so I started with historical games in mind. Charge! was my next book and I started collecting figures for Wolfe & Montcalm at Quebec. Before the troops were ready, Simon MacDowall had come along as had 3rd ed WRG Ancients and soon two imaginary countries were fighting campaigns and the joy of those days of imagination is still with me.

    I've never managed to get interested in the political, economic and strategic aspects so any "campaigns" are what I call "narrative campaigns", a storyline to string the games together and give the regiments and commanders a bit of history based on their real life tabletop experiences.

    In short, I have collected many miniature versions of armies over the years,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      It’s great to remember the fun and joy of those early wargames and wargame campaigns.

      I like to keep the political and economic aspects of my campaigns to the minimum, and like you I prefer them to have a narrative that strings events together.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. Bob -
    Great article! I count myself as at the very least an honorary member of the imagi-Nations club, although it sometimes seems to be Virtual Worlds. I don't go much into socio-economic backgrounds - even though I have a reasonable number of resource materials for such things.

    The geography, though, yes. That tends to show where the strategic lines and points are.

    But if there is anything that will catch my eye on Blogger, it is someone's imagi-Nations' wars, campaigns and battles.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      I certainly consider you to be a fully paid up member of the Imagi-nation Mans club … and hope that yours will be a lifelong membership.

      In my experience, it is over complex campaigns that usually collapse before they get very far. Wargamers want to fight battles, not to be bean counters, which is what such campaigns often require.

      Like you, anything that smacks of imagi-nations always attracts my attention.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  10. I enjoy to varying degrees most types of wargames but I'm very partial to imagi-nations gaming. For me its a natural off shoot of my FRP campaigns. I love world building and map making and find the creative process very satisfying in and of itself. I'm enjoying your Belle-Epoque posts very much and I would like to see even more detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      I had a feeling that your were an Imagi-nations Man, and from what you wrote in your comment, you have confirmed that belief.

      I’m glad that you’re enjoying my Belle Époque project. It’s certainly giving me lots of enjoyment.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.