Pages

Sunday 29 November 2015

Building modular fortifications: Part 1 - The raw materials

Despite several attempts to find my existing model fortifications, I just cannot seem to find them anywhere in my wargames room. I have therefore decided to make some replacements, and in doing so to make them modular so that they can be arranged in a variety of different layouts to suit my wargaming needs.

Because I don't want this project to be too costly, I looked around to see what raw materials I had available to use. Luckily this did not take long, and within a matter of minutes I had a pile of 50mm x 50mm MDF figures bases and 50mm long sections of pine on my worktable. The MDF bases were bought some time ago from a leading supplier, and to date I have been using them as bases for my 25/28mm pre-painted Del Prado Napoleonic cavalry. The lengths of pine were from a game called 'Tumbling Towers' (a copy of Jenga) and cost £1.00 for a boxful of 39 pieces.


I intend to glue the lengths of pine to the MDF bases to form the walls and towers of my new fortifications, and because they are all going to be in units of 50mm, the bulk of my 15mm-scale Colonial figures (which are mounted on 40mm-wide multi-figure bases) will fit on them quite nicely.

I expect that it will take a several days to build my new fortifications, and I will write blog entries about my progress as and when it is appropriate.

8 comments:

  1. Bob

    Normally when I give up on finding something, i find it immediately after replacing it.

    However we, I'll be interested in seeing your fort progress.
    Cheers
    PD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter Douglas,

    That is usually my experience as well ... but this time it hasn't happened, which is why I am going to build my modular fortress.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, I would not expect the old one to reappear until the new one is almost finished. In any case I'm looking forward to seeing the new one as it takes shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get to it Sapper Cordery!

    Did you come here to build a bridge?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ross Mac,

    I am sure that you are right. In the meantime I am enjoying slowly building my modular fortress.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Conrad Kinch,

    Sapper! I'm much more like that 'Officer of Engineers' who came to build a bridge.

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. I can actually see the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich - where Chard was trained - through the windows of my wargames room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a memorial to Chard in Rochester Cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nigel Drury,

    I never knew that. His name was inscribed in gold on the fireplace of the Refectory of the Royal Military Academy, Woolewich, along with the names of the other holders of the VC who were trained at the Academy.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.