Pages

Monday 9 November 2015

Computer 'fun' continues

Well after a few false starts and more than a couple of problems, my new computer is now working ... and I have used it to create this blog entry!

My computer came with Windows 8.1 installed as its operating system, and after attaching the keyboard, monitor, and mouse my first task was to ensure that all the necessary upgrades to Windows 10 were downloaded and installed. I set this up to happen overnight from late Friday night to early Saturday morning, but due to an interruption to our Internet link during the night, this took even longer than I had hoped. Eventually the updates were installed and I began the process of adding my current email accounts to the computer's email program.

This proved to be more problematic that I had thought that it might be, and although I could add most of my email accounts and begin to download and view my messages, I could not do it for all of them. Rather than allowing myself to get frustrated and annoyed, I walked away from my computer. When I came back later, the computer had begun to download further updates ... and I discovered that I had not yet completely downloaded the new Windows 10 operating system, and had been trying to use a sort of hybrid of Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. This had happened because of the interrupted Internet connection, and in the end I decided to just let the computer automatically upgrade itself to Windows 10.

This proved to be a wise decision, and yesterday afternoon I was able to set up my new computer's Desktop so that it matched my requirements and to download MS Office 2007, MS Expression Web 3, Serif PagePlus, and Serif PhotoPlus onto the computer. I then checked that they were all working properly before taking the rest of the day off. This morning I have been able to add the 'missing' email accounts, download all the files from my old computer to my new one, and add a connection to my wireless Inkjet printer. My next task is to move the old computer off my desk and move my new new one into its place. The last task will then be to connect my laser printer to the computer ... and hopefully that will be that.

I intend to keep my old computer until I am sure that the new one is working properly ... just in case.

4 comments:

  1. All goes well Bob- hope the performance of the new computer - is a Flyer!! KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kev,

    It is early days as yet, but so far it looks as if the new computer is a lot faster and a lot better than the old one.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Bob! I really hate having to get a new computer organised. Happily, you seem to be a far more patient man than I am with these kinds of things!

    Best wishes,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prufrock (Aaron),

    I am currently transferring my contacts over from my old computer to my new one ... and it is taking longer than I would have liked. Some of the information has transferred automatically ... but some has not. I am therefore having to do a manual check of each one just to make sure all the information is there.

    Luckily I am retired and can do this a bit at a time. If I was still working I would be bald from pulling my hair out!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.