Pages

Monday 18 June 2018

A double celebration

There are two events that occur of the 18th June each year that are worth celebrating. The first is the birthday of my fellow blogger and all-round jolly good chap, Conrad Kinch. The second is the anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo, where Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, and Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher led the Allied armies to victory ... aided (to a certain extent) by the Prince of Orange.

Interestingly both Conrad Kinch and Arthur Wellesley share much in common. They are both Irishmen, lived in Dublin, and were at the Battle of Waterloo. In must be admitted that Conrad Kinch's appearance there was somewhat delayed (by a mere two hundred years) and that the location was closer to the playing fields of Eton than to the countryside of Belgium (it was a lawn in central London) ... but he was there, and here is the photographic proof!


As can be seen from the following portrait of the Duke, they also share a similar hairstyle ...


... and from the back they look very similar.

So, let's all raise a glass to celebrate this wonderful day. The toast is 'Happy Birthday Conrad ... and death to the French!'

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Tradgardmastare,

      I've already drunk my toast to Conrad and his family ... in good old non-alcoholic apple juice!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Conrad!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heinz-Ulrich von Boffke (Stokes),

      I know that Conrad reads my blog, so I'm sure that he will appreciate your best wishes.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      I'm sure that Conrad will enjoy your greeting and best wishes.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I always thought that Nosey was more from Cork than from Dublin.

    Regardless, many repeats Mr K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Duncan,

      I'd always though that Nosey was born in Dublin, but it would appear that the exact location is uncertain. Three addresses in Dublin are suggested as is the family's house in the town of Athy in County Kildare ... but there does not appear to be a definitive answer.

      I'm sure that Conrad would be able to tell us the right answer.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. From the picture it looks like that was on the occasion of Conrad's 10th birthday or so! ha ha

    Many happy returns, young man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fitz-Badger,

      Conrad is a very youthful looking chap ... especially when seen alongside old codgers like me!

      I'm sure that he will appreciate your best wishes.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      I'm sure that Conrad will appreciate your huzzahs!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday Conrad!

    Best wishes
    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anthony Morton,

      I'm sure in sure that Conrad Kinch will enjoy your best wishes.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. Thank you very much Bob and to everyone else for their good wishes. That was very thoughtful of you. That game is still one of the highlights of my wargaming life. Unfortunately a return to work and two small babies mean that I don’t get to play as much as I would wish.

    Good pic too. I see you got my good side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conrad Kinch,

      It was my pleasure to mark your birthday - and the anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo - with a special blog entry!

      That lawn battle was memorable on many, many levels, and is also one of the highlights of my time in wargaming. Hopefully you'll be able to take part in another one in the future.

      All the best,

      Bob

      PS. When I looked, I was surprised that only a few of the photographs that I took that day actually had the players in them. For some reason they main subjects seemed to be the toy soldiers!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.