Pages

Wednesday 20 June 2018

Gridded Naval Wargames ... has been published!

My latest book – GRIDDED NAVAL WARGAMES: NAVAL WARGAMING IN THE AGE OF STEAM, IRON, AND STEEL – has been published.


This book was written as a follow-up to THE PORTABLE WARGAME and DEVELOPING THE PORTABLE WARGAME to show examples of naval wargames that can be fought on a gridded tabletop. The book contains six sets of rules (three of which are from the PORTABLE NAVAL WARGAME stable), four explanatory battle reports, and a chapter that explains ‘How to …’ build simple model American Civil War ironclads. The book is aimed at the wargamer who wants to include aspects of naval warfare in their wargames, and it has been written with the intention that it will be suitable for both novice and experienced wargamers.

This book contains chapters entitled:
  • Introduction
  • Notes and explanations
  • Grids: Their advantages, disadvantages, and usefulness in naval wargames
  • The Game of Naval Blockade
  • ‘Prepare for Ramming!’
  • ‘Prepare for Ramming!’ … in Action
  • The Portable Naval Wargame: American Civil War
  • The Portable Naval Wargame: American Civil War – How to construct simple model ironclads
  • The Portable Naval Wargame: American Civil War … in Action
  • The Portable Naval Wargame: Pre-dreadnoughts
  • The Portable Naval Wargame: Pre-dreadnoughts … in Action
  • The Portable Naval Wargame: Dreadnoughts
  • Mimi and Toutou Go Forth
  • Mimi and Toutou Go Forth … in Action
  • Developing some of the rules in this book: Ideas, suggestions, and notes
  • Coastal Operations
  • Selected Bibliography

GRIDDED NAVAL WARGAMES: NAVAL WARGAMING IN THE AGE OF STEAM, IRON, AND STEEL is published by Eglinton Books and distributed by Lulu.com. It has 136 pages and contains over 175 illustrations and diagrams. The book is available in three versions:
  • Hardback: £16.99 (ISBN 978 0 244 68854 7)
  • Paperback: £7.49 (ISBN 978 0 244 38854 6)
  • eBook: £3.99 (ISBN 978 0 244 08856 9)

24 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention that the Kindle version also up on sale at Amazon UK. At £3.83 the price is a little lower. I won't start reading until tomorrow though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike Hall,

      Amazon were very on the ball and much faster than usual! It normally takes anything up to three weeks for them to add a new book to their catalogue.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. I'll be getting the paperback as well but there seems less need to rush with this as I've already got the e-book. The only problem is that I normally read non fiction - anything with diagrams/pictures on my tablet - and sitting out in today's sunshine I can't see anything but reflections on the screen. I'm about to see how well everything displays on a Paperwhite. I fear it may remind me why I normally limit my e-book purchases to fiction unless I expect that I'll want the title available whilst on holiday.

      Delete
    3. Mike Hall,

      You have outlined the problems that I also experience when using my Kindle. I don't have quite the same level of visibility problems when using my iPad to read non-fiction books, but it is by no means a perfect solution.

      I hope that you enjoy reading my book whilst you are on holiday.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo,

      Cheers! I hope you enjoy reading it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob,
    Great to see this all coming to fruition- hope your Lulu sales are without bounds and most successful- well done. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson,

      Cheers! At present I cannot access my Lulu sales figures, and have no idea how well my books are selling at present.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I'll be ordering later today. Congratulations Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee Hadkey,

      I hope that you enjoy reading my book ... and it might even give you a few ideas for wargamers you might want to fight,

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. I'm overjoyed to hear this Bob! I have a 1/3000 WW1 collection that I'm itching to use with your rules.

    Best wishes
    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anthony Morton,

      With luck up you will have a copy of the book within a matter of days ... and then you can give the rules a try out.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Excellent news! Well done. looking forward to adding it to my growing "Portable War games" library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Bradley,

      I already have plans for my next PW book ... and hope that it will cover the 1800 to 1860 period.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. I hope Amazon puts up the paperback version for sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,

      Hopefully Amazon will have the printed versions of my book available for sale within a fortnight.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. All the best with the book. I have ordered a copy and eagerly await the arrival of it.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tradgardmastare (Alan),

      Thanks for ordering a copy of my latest book. I hope that you enjoy reading the book once it is delivered.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. Another one?! Congratulations Bob. Good luck with it. Are you thinking of dyeing your hair pink and changing your name to Barbara?

    Not my cup of tea - boats (big, small and underwater) and the Wars of the Roses - are my my wargaming blindspots, never can understand them but I hope it goes well for you.

    Cheers
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rumblestrip (Andrew),

      Cheers ... and I can assure you that my hair (what there is of it) will be staying the colour it is for the time being!

      I have another book (a very short one) that I have prepared to illustrate how to self-publish a book. It will be out in time for COW ... I hope!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  10. I've put my order in. It should arrive while we are away in Wales, so I have something to look forward to on our return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joppy,

      The current Lulu turnaround time from order to delivery seems to be about ten days, so if you are going away soon, it should certainly be waiting for you when you get home.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  11. Hi Bob
    As I already have your previous PW books had to order this especially as I am a naval warfare freek. Must be because of the time I spent in the Royal Navy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johntheone,

      I hope that you enjoy reading the latest book as much as you did the first two.

      At sixteen I had set my heart of having a career in the Royal Navy ... but bad eyesight stopped me. (I could have become an engineer, but I wanted to become a PWO, and that just wasn't possible back in the 1960s.)

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.