Pages

Tuesday 31 March 2020

Other people's Portable Wargame battle reports: The Schleswig-Holstein War

Martin Smith has done it again, this time trying a tweaked version of my PORTABLE WARGAME rules to fight a battle set during the Schleswig-Holstein War.

He used ACW Confederate troops to represent the Danes, and ACW Union troops for the Prussians, and the battle was fought on a 10 x 10 squared grid. The grid was - in fact - a neutral-coloured table napkin or place mat which had suitably spaced embroidered lines on it to define the squares. I thought that this was a very clever idea, and one that other players might wish to copy.

The report is featured on the game's Facebook page, but as not everyone either has access to or wishes to belong to Facebook, I have shared some of the photographs of the battles below.




I thought that Martin's terrain was very effective, and he has produced yet another truly portable version of the game!

Please note that the photographs featured above are © Martin Smith.

10 comments:

  1. That tablecloth is a great find. It just needs dyeing in random shades of green/brown for general use, but the white would be good for snow-covered battlefields. Where can I get one, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur1815,

      I’m not sure where he acquired it, but if they aren’t very expensive, it might be possible to buy several and dye them in several different shades to suit different types of terrain.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      It showed how it is possible to fight a great tabletop battle with a bit of imagination and some simple terrain.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Perhaps Bob's grid games could work well on Skype with one player with a camera focussed on the table and moving the enemy troops under the direction of the opponent?

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon,

      That sounds like an idea that is worth exploring.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I sense the need for a Solo Portable wargame coming on ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exile FoG,

      That’s not a bad idea. I did include a chapter in my first PW book, but perhaps I could develop the ideas a bit more.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Martin's game looks wonderful! Thank you for continuing to post other folks portable wargames, it is an inspiration.

    Bob, I have owned your books and downloaded you wonderful free rules for years. I am a couple of flocked bases of way to getting WW2 portable wargame on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jozi’s Tin Man,

      Martin’s game was impressive, and I love sharing images of other people’s Portable Wargames with my regular blog readers.

      I look forward to seeing photographs of your WW2 collection in action.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.