Pages

Friday 13 March 2020

Other people's Portable Wargames: Game boards

I never cease to be amazed by how users of my PORTABLE WARGAME rules have built game boards to use with the rules. Recently two examples have been featured on the game’s Facebook page, and I wanted to share images of them with my regular blog readers.

The first has been put together by Robert Lloyd, using 10mm-scale figures and an MDF board from Warbases.



The second has been constructed by Mike Lewis (the owner of Black Hat Miniatures, Imperial Miniatures, and The Dorset Model Soldier Company), and the completed board will be on show at SALUTE, where he is running a participation game using his 54mm-scale figures.




I particularly like the castle, the locomotive, and the railway rolling stock, which have all been constructed from MDF!

Please note that the photographs featured above are © Robert Lloyd and Mike Lewis.

8 comments:

  1. I had some boards custom cut for me, but I need to stain and varnish them, before taking any photos. I have also worked out how I want to do population centers such as villages and towns, and also woods and hills, but will be having to get the pieces for those ordered and cut, as well. I am toying with reducing the painting to just doing some deep and dark stains in reddish and bluish hues, possible with an Army Painter dip followed by a GW contrast color, wanting them to look their appropriate color, but be a bit darker in the shadows. Of course, this would be for 15mm. I am thinking of a white undercoat with the contrast colors as the final color coat for my 6mm. I am going to be focusing on this project until I can get it done to the point of being able to play against someone. and THEN I will go on to hopefully finish one of my other 200 hobby projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justin Penwith,

      I have enough stuff to hand to make a board similar to the one made by Robert Lloyd, and really ought to get around to painting it and making the necessary terrain. At present - however - finishing the next PW book has priority, and that is what I will be concentrating on over the next few days.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Mike Lewis' Toy Soldier style is very nice. Some great ideas there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      Mike’s figures always look great, and his simple terrain is very effective. The hollow woods are particularly good.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Another thumbs-up for the hollow woods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Khusru,

      They are very much in the style of Morschauser.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Mike Lewis' board is lovely and hopefully will impress visitors to Salute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      Seeing the board and the figures in action is the one reason why I hope SALUTE isn’t cancelled.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.