Pages

Thursday 30 April 2020

The first of my World War Two renovated 20mm-scale Russian army vehicles

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been working on and off on renovating some of the vehicles in my Russian 20mm-scale World War 2 collection. I began by mounting the vehicles on bases before undercoating them, and I am now beginning the process of applying the topcoat and painting the bases.

I began with some of the artillery tractors, and so far I have completed three Komsomolets light artillery tractors and three Komintern medium artillery tractors.



The models come from a variety of sources. Two of the Komsomolets light artillery tractors were manufactured by Skytrex and the other is a resin kit of unknown origin, whereas the Komintern medium artillery tractors were scratch-built using parts from broken ROCO Pzkpfw IV tanks and from a number of Airfix kits.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Bob, what paint do you use for the bases? I always find it difficult to get a good "grassy" green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,

      I use Humbrol Grass Green Matt enamel. For some reason they don’t make it as an acrylic paint, which means that it can take up to six hours to dry.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. I used to have some Avocado craft acrylic paint that worked quite well - and cheap! Check out Amazon or similar.

      Simon

      Delete
    3. Simon,

      Avocado would probably be a very good substitute for Grass Green. I did consider using Sap Green acrylic paint, which is available from several major producers.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hi Bob,
    Good to see your work on these renovated vehicles as you progress towards you Campaign of 'Barbarossa'. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Cheers! There’s a few more bits of kit waiting to be finished.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.