Pages

Wednesday 31 March 2021

The Widow at Windsor: The Colonial wargamer's poem?

This evening I am giving an online talk to the Bristol Masonic Society entitled RUDYARD KIPLING: MASON AND POET. I have done this talk many times before, but never online, so I had to prepare a PowerPoint presentation to go with my talk ... and whilst doing so I re-read for the umpteenth time his poem THE WIDOW AND WINDSOR.

I have shared this poem online before, but as I was reading it, it struck me that this was probably what I think of as the archetypal Colonial wargamer's poem ... so here it is again!

THE WIDOW AT WINDSOR

'Ave you 'eard o' the Widow at Windsor
With a hairy gold crown on 'er 'ead?
She 'as ships on the foam
– she 'as millions at 'ome,
An' she pays us poor beggars in red.
(Ow, poor beggars in red!)

There's 'er nick on the cavalry 'orses,
There's 'er mark on the medical stores
– An' 'er troopers you'll find
with a fair wind be'ind
That takes us to various wars.
(Poor beggars! – barbarous wars!)

Then 'ere's to the Widow at Windsor
An' 'ere's to the stores an' the guns,
The men an' the 'orses
what makes up the forces
O' Missis Victorier's sons.
(Poor beggars! Victorier's sons!)

Walk wide o' the Widow at Windsor,
For 'alf o' Creation she owns:
We 'ave bought 'er the same
with the sword an' the flame,
An' we've salted it down with our bones.
(Poor beggars! – it's blue with our bones!)

Hands off o' the sons o' the Widow,
Hands off o' the goods in 'er shop,
For the Kings must come down
an' the Emperors frown
When the Widow at Windsor says "Stop"!
(Poor beggars! – we're sent to say "Stop"!)

Then 'ere's to the Lodge o' the Widow,
From the Pole to the Tropics it runs
– To the Lodge that we tile
with the rank an' the file,
An' open in form with the guns.
(Poor beggars! – it's always they guns!)

We 'ave 'eard o' the Widow at Windsor,
It's safest to let 'er alone:
For 'er sentries we stand
by the sea an' the land
Wherever the bugles are blown.
(Poor beggars! – an' don't we get blown!)

Take 'old o' the Wings o' the Mornin',
An' flop round the earth till you're dead;
But you won't get away
from the tune that they play
To the bloomin' old rag over'ead.
(Poor beggars! – it's 'ot over'ead!)

Then 'ere's to the sons o' the Widow,
Wherever, 'owever they roam.
'Ere's all they desire,
an' if they require
A speedy return to their 'ome.
(Poor beggars! – they'll never see 'ome!)

16 comments:

  1. Is it only me or does this sound not too euphoric? Poor beggars ... Never see 'ome ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sapere aude,

      The poem was written at a time when Kipling was writing a lot about the rank and file soldiers serving with the British Army, and reflects their mixed feelings about their role in protecting the Empire and the value placed upon their service by the government and the general public.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I don't think it would be my choice for the "Colonial wargamer's poem", but then this is so personal and subjective that you’d not expect automatic agreement. If I were to choose one poem it would certainly be Kipling but would probably be “The Young British Soldier” or maybe “The ‘eathen”. But on another day something else might come to mind.

    This could be a new – and very different – book for you to write: “The Colonial Wargamer’s Poetry Book”. There would then be room for a great variety of verses including appropriate extracts like verse two of “Vitai Lampada”, forgotten campaign accounts like “The Ballad of Boh Da Thone” (an inspiration for chance card events?) or “That Day” (for when the dice fall badly).

    As long as everything is in the public domain, and almost everything worth printing will be, ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike Hall,

      You are spot on about how the love of a particular poem (and poet) is very subjective and personal ... and if I hadn’t had to re-read this poem for my talk, I might well have made another choice.

      I like the idea of a Colonial Wargamer’s Poetry Book ... especially if I could find some suitable illustrations. It’s certainly something for me to think about ...

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I can see how one could interpret this as a wargamer's poem, it just requires the reader to be a little cheeky. If the reader interprets:
    'Stores' to be the shops that sell gaming supplies.
    The widow to be the wife left at home while her husband is off pushing soldiers around a table with his friends.
    The 'Lodge' is the clubhouse (or basement, or dining room table...) where the gamers meet.
    And so on, I can see how it works.
    Is it me or does this read really well as a limerick? That seems apropos for a poem written in a soldier's voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      I’m pleased that you see the poem in the same sort of way that I do.

      The poem does have the feel and structure of a limerick ... which would have been the sort of poetry most rank and file soldiers would have been well acquainted with.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I liked it, but have always been a big fan of Rudyard Kipling. He could announce the the day's weather and I'd be fascinated. I thought it did capture the harshness of war and its rather bleak refrain fits to a tee. And lord how I love a poem with good tempo and clever rhyme. Edgar Allan Poe's work was like that too. And who can forget the Charge of the Light Brigade by Tennyson? I must an old romantic at heart. Thanks for sharing this Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dalethewargamer,

      I’m glad that I’m not the only Kipling enthusiast! I’m fed up reading comments about Kipling’s work being racist ... usually by people who’ve ever read much of his prose or poetry.

      The Charge of the Light Brigade has a wonderful tempo to it that seems to echo the sound of horses’ hooves thundering across the ground.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. There is a recording of Tennyson reading the poem and the tempo is, if my memory serves me right, as you suggest.

      Delete
    3. Steve J.,

      Now that is something that I’d like to hear!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    4. Google "tennyson reading charge of the light brigade" and you'll be able to hear it. More inspiring in theory than in practice I fear, given that it comes from a very old wax cylinder that probably didn't have good audio quality when first laid down.

      Delete
    5. Here you go Bob:
      https://youtu.be/MkqUq26z1CE
      The accompanying animation is...odd to say the least but it's on YouTube.

      Delete
    6. Mike Hall,

      The recording may not be very good, but the historian in me always likes to deal with primary sources, however bad they may be!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    7. Mr. Pavone,

      I could certainly do without the animation!

      The sound quality is about as good as I expected it would be, but it was possible to hear the tempo of the poem.

      Many thanks for the link,

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. This poem is the namesake for the classic colonial ruleset The Sword and the Flame; it truly inspires the genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,

      The poem has a special meaning for Freemasons in that includes words and phrases that are featured at the end of a post-meeting meal.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.