Pages

Friday 20 May 2022

Back to the Belle Époque

Back in the early 1990s I painted a number of 15mm Pathan figures manufactured by Irregular Miniatures, I have used them on and off since then, and I have decided that I am going to renovate, varnish, and rebase them so that I can add them to my Belle Époque imagi-nations collection.

The working name for the imagi-nation whose army these figures will become is Khyberistan. The army will be made up of several tribal infantry regiments supported by two tribal artillery regiments. Each tribe has a different coloured turban (red, white, and cream) and each infantry and artillery regiment will have its own supply column.

Kyhberistan will be a mountainous country and will be ruled by an Emir who is based in its capital, Kalabar. (For those of you who haven’t realised yet, I am drawing heavily on CARRY ON UP THE KHYBER for my inspiration1)

10 comments:

  1. I like the sound of your Carry on Up the Khyber army Bob. Hope the health is improving a bit. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      The film is a wonderful source of inspiration, and I have based several games that involved some of the characters from the cast.

      I hope that my health situation will improve in the near future. I am due to have surgery towards the end of this month, and this should go some way to sorting my problem out.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hello Bob. I used the Carry on Up The Khyber Pass film (a childhood favourite) as inspiration for my "Penny Dreadfuls" pound store plastic conversions. Some 'uniform reference' screenshots of Private Widdle and others here at: https://poundstoreplasticwarriors.wordpress.com/2017/11/26/pound-store-plastic-colonial-infantry-on-the-painting-table/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, Man of TIN,

      The film is a great source of inspiration … and long may it remain so!

      I love your pound shop figures … and I hope that you can still buy them.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Weren't the tribal enemy faced by the 3rd Foot & Mouth the "Bhurpahs"? They don't make films like that anymore!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil Patterson (Neil),

      The Bhurpahs (or is it Bhurpas?) certainly were the tribe featured in the film. The ‘CARRY ON …’ films were of variable quality; some - like ‘CARRY ON UP THE KHYBER’ - were excellent, but some of the others were quite dire!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Afraid I can't resist this - 'Mustafa Leek! Mustafa Leek!'.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting you mention Carry On up the Khyber. I was today reading your book on the Madasahatta Campaign and that's the image that came to mind as I giggled and puzzled my way through some of Eric Knowles' place and character names! Not exactly the most Politically Correct choices but then again, different times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon S,

      I’m glad that you are enjoying the book. We had great fun taking part in the Madasahatta Campaign … and a lot of that enjoyment came from the backstory Eric created … including the somewhat non-PC names he used!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.