Pages

Friday 7 July 2023

Off to COW2023

Later today I will be driving to Missenden Abbey, Buckinghamshire, to attend this year’s Conference of Wargamers (COW).

After using Knuston Hall, Northamptonshire, for many years, the conference took place at the Defence Academy, Shrivenham last year. Although this was an excellent venue, it was not one that we could regard as a permanent new home for COW. Thanks to the work done by one member of Wargame Developments, we were able to book Missenden Abbey, which is much more like Knuston Hall and what we hope will become COW’s new venue.

The conference timetable looks like this …

Click on the timetable to see a larger version.

… and I have already identified several sessions that I will be signing up for.

I hope that going to COW, taking part in some wargames, and meeting up with loads of old wargaming friends will help to reinvigorate my enthusiasm for the hobby.

8 comments:

  1. Enjoy. I hope to attend for the first time next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      So far I’ve had an excellent time, and I look forward to seeing you there next year.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. All kinds of interesting stuff there, Bob. If you happen to attend that session, I would like to hear from you what they made of SPI's Fighting Sail. I have a copy of it (bought maybe 40-odd years ago) but never actually played it. My impression is that it's a naval rule set that was somewhat overshadowed by AH's contemporaneous 'Wooden Ships and Iron Men', but not for any qualitative reason.

    Let us hope that the event does beef up the wargaming umpty-poo!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      There were more sessions that I wanted to go to than it was possible for me to attend and I missed the ‘Fighting Sail’ one. I understand that it went well, and I’ll pass on any feedback I see.

      I have another morning and afternoon’s wargaming ahead of me and I know that by the time I get home I’ll be exhausted but also re-invigorated.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of Baader-Meinhoff Cleudo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      I would love to have played it, but I was in the Cold War Wargame Workshop.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. I look forward to reading the after action reviews in the next issue of the Nugget.

      Delete
    3. Mr. Pavone,

      With a bit of luck, you’ll be able to read mine on my blog later today.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.