Pages

Tuesday 28 November 2023

The MF&FMLR model railway project: Starting the terrain

Once my baseboard was ready, I began the process of adding terrain by covering it with a layer of A4-sized foamcore boards that were trimmed to size. (I used A4-sized boards as I had a stack of them in my wargame/toy room). I did this because I wanted a soft surface for the track pins to go into and I thought that the hardboard would be too hard!

These were glued to the hardboard using a spray adhesive and any excess foamcore was cut away carefully using a sharp craft knife.

I then overlaid this with a second layer of foamcore boards that I temporarily fixed in place using masking tape. I then reassembled my track on top and using a marker pen, I marked on where the track went and the rough locations of the buildings and marshy area. I also numbered each sheet of foamcore from 1 to 9, starting in the top left-hand corner. This was so I knew where each one should go when I had glued them to the bottom layer. (It is worth noting that I laid this second layer of foamcore at right-angles to the first in order to ensure that any gapping was minimised.)

I then disassembled my track and trimmed the nine foamcore boards according to the markings that were drawn onto them. I then glued each of them in place using PVA glue.

To make sure that the foamcore did not move whilst the PVA glue dried, I started with the top row of foamcore boards and used heavy weights to hold them in place until the glue had dried. This took between and hour and two hours. I then repeated this process with the middle row of foamcore boards, and when they had dried, the last row was glued and weighted down.

You will note that I also added a few 'islands' inside the marshy areas as well as a few hummocks to break up the otherwise rather flat terrain. I also changed the edge of the River Thames in 8 to allow for the the Brennan Torpedo launching slipway and in 9 to reinforce the weak bottom right-hand corner of the layout baseboard.


The white foamcore board I used has taken on a yellow-brownish in the photographs due to the artifical light in my toy/wargame room. I did not correct this as I think that it makes it easier to see what I have done.

8 comments:

  1. The foamcore board is an interesting terrain making option that I've never thought of - your railway board already looks like a possible battlefield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      I used it because I have seen several YouTube videos by railway modellers who made their baseboards from foamcore … and I had several packs in my toy/wargame rules.

      Using the foamcore has made me realise that I might well use it for a future tabletop battlefield.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Bob, I had never thought of using foamcore for scenery, so I shall be most interested to see how your baseboard develops.
      I have an old estate agent's To Let signs that I took down from one of my wife's properties when they could not be bothered, which has two layers of small square cells inside, rather than expanded polystyrene. It seems to resist crushing with fingers and would probably work equally well for 'stepped' wargame hills or as a former underneath some cloth, papier mache or filler to create gentle slopes.
      Best wishes,
      Arthur

      Delete
    3. Arthur1815 (Arthur),

      The foamcore has the advantages of lightness, reasonable rigidity, and a resistance to warping if treated properly. It’s also easy to glue using a glue gun and PVA/white wood glue.

      I would have thought that the ‘To Let’ signs will be made of a similar material. The printed part might need to be sandpapered first to provide a key for any glue, but other than that, I cannot see that it shouldn’t be used in the same way.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Looking good Bob and I'm enjoying seeing how this project is unfolding and progressing:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      Cheers! I’m taking my time with this project as I am trying out new ideas and construction methods for terrain that I’ll be able to carry over into wargaming. Some are working better than others, so I’m on a bit of a learning curve.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Fine progress being made, foamcore seems a very versatile product and should work well for your project.It's interesting following your work on this, plenty to take in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnie McGibbon,

      Cheers! I’ve used foamcore before, but never for anything like this. So far, I’m pleased with the results I’ve achieved.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.