Pages

Wednesday 8 May 2024

The Land of Counterpane by Robert Louis Stephenson

I know that this poem has been quoted by other wargamers in similar circumstances, but I felt that I wanted to share it today as re-reading it helped to lift my spirits after having to return to hospital again three times in six days for a series of scans.

When I was sick and lay a-bed
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay
To keep me happy all the day.

And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;

And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.

I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.


In the time since I left hospital last week, I’ve had to go back twice for an MRI scan and a CT scan, and yesterday morning I went back again for a whole body bone scan. Each time I have had to be transported in both directions by member of the HATS patient transport service in specially adapted ambulances. They have done a wonderful job and I cannot praise them too highly.

14 comments:

  1. I've never read this poem and now I know what another Blog title refers too! It does take me back to Airfix 1/23nd soldiers and a sheepskin rug in front of the fire, that was sculpted into hills, trenches etc upon which we posed our unpainted soldiers. Happy days and simpler times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      It’s a poem that Arthur Harman made me aware of, and it reminded me of the wargames I fought when I was ill in bed during my childhood. I used Britains metal and Woolworths plastic 54mm figures in my bed wargames, and my ‘battles’ kept me amused for hours.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Bob -
    A little poem for you...

    'The Battle of Counterpane'

    The gallant Fezian cavallery,
    Made a sudden sallery
    Into the deathly vallery;
    Assailed by shell and cannonballs,
    Wolf whistles and rude cat calls,
    They were blasted into hellery.

    (All that shot and shellery
    pounded 'em into jellery.)

    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      Your poem made me laugh when I read it! Thank you for writing and sharing it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Bob -
      It so happens, by the way, that I have an ancient (2nd hand) copy of R.L. Stevenson's 'A Child's Garden of Verses'. Unfortunately, some evil-minded snurge has cut out all the coloured illustrations. The illustrator is one A.H. Watson, very similar in style, I think, to that of E.H.Shepard.

      Can't say I go a bundle on Stevenson's verse (much prefer A.A. Milne), though I imagine them to be a rich source for parody!

      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
    3. Archduke Piccolo,

      Sorry to read that your copy of the book has lost its illustrations. Stephenson might not not have been as good a poet as he was a writer, but one feels that his experience as a wargamer infuses this particular poem and makes it one of his better ones.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I've known that poem since before I had learned to read for myself. It still applies and cheers me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      What a fond memory. Thanks for sharing it.

      It’s a very appropriate poem for both a sick child and a bed-ridden wargamer!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. The NHS has it's problems these days, but it still does a good job. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob Young,

      With one exception, everyone who has dealt with me has done a great job, often in difficult circumstances.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Very clever stuff and funny too! I needed that today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Demitri Ioannou,

      I’m pleased that it helped to lift your spirits.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. My mum used to read that to me when I was ill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conrad Kinch,

      Your mum sounds as if she was a very caring, thoughtful, and insightful lady.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.