Pages

Tuesday 7 May 2024

Being back home

I’ve now been home from hospital for a week and I’m beginning to get into the routine of living in our conservatory. Each day my two carers visit four times to make sure that I’m given a bed bath and dressed, my bed is made, that I’ve eaten, that I’ve taken my medications, and I’m hoisted out of bed so the I can sit in my orthopaedic chair. They also check on my stoma bag and empty my urine bottle.

Now, they are supposed to come at approximately the same times every day BUT to date this has not happened. The supervisor (whose name is Mike) is very punctual, but his assistant (whose name is Abdul) is always late … sometimes by as much as thirty minutes. On one occasion he was even later, but this was because the previous person he had done a care visit to had fallen over and Abdul had had to wait for an emergency ambulance to arrive to take the unlucky person to hospital.

My normal day should be as follows:

  • By 10.00am: Wake up, eat breakfast, and take my medications.
  • 10.00am to 10.45am: Bed bath, change of clothes, and hoisted into my chair.
  • 10.45am to 1.30pm: Rest in my chair, read books and my Kindle, watch TV, use my iPad and iPhone, and eat lunch at about 12.30pm.
  • 1.30pm to 2.00pm: Quick check that everything is alright before being hoisted back into bed to rest my legs.
  • 2.00pm to 4.30pm: Sleep and/or carry on with what I had been doing all morning.
  • 4.30pm to 5.00pm: Quick check that everything is alright before being hoisted back into my orthopaedic chair.
  • 5.00pm to 9.00pm: As for 10.45am to 1.30pm except that I eat dinner … usually at about 7.30pm.
  • 9.00pm to 9.30pm: Quick check that everything is alright before being hoisted back into bed for the night.
  • 9.30pm onwards: Read books and my Kindle, watch TV, and use my iPad and iPhone until it’s time to go to sleep.

This is the pattern I should have been following since I left hospital BUT several things (besides Abdul’s erratic timekeeping) have disrupted this.

On Thursday 2nd May I had to return to hospital at 6.15pm for CT scan on my left knee and on Friday 3rd May I had to go back for an MRI scan of my chest, abdomen, and pelvic area. Luckily, the HATS transport team (they are called Lee and Pete) that was sent to take me in on both occasions was the same one that had brought me home from hospital. They knew exactly how to get me in and out of bed and into the ambulance without any difficulties, and they even arranged to bring me back home after my treatment on Friday. Unfortunately, I missed being brought home by them on Thursday and the replacement crew had all sorts of problems getting me out of the ambulance (they parked too far away and had to bump me up the curb rather than using the sloped crossover) and into the conservatory (they used the standard wheelchair which would not fit through our kitchen doorway and not the smaller one that will).

I have a further visit to hospital today for a full body bone scan and on Friday 10th May I go back to the Fracture Clinic so that they can check on my progress. After that, I should be remaining bed-bound for at least another fortnight and possibly even longer.

16 comments:

  1. "Fortnight" sounds very appropriate: siege-like. Fingers crossed that you are able to regain some measure of mobility (and with it, autonomy) on schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed M

      It certainly feels like I’m under siege at times! The good thing is that as each day passes I seem to be able to find something that I can do better than the day before, even if it is only just being able to sit up unaided.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Dear Bob, hope you’re going okay with everything. I know progress is slow but you have to stay positive and keep going. Hope your tests will be promising. Warm Regards- Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glory to Ruritania (Quinn),

      Things are better at home than they were when I was in hospital. I am sleeping better for a start, and now that I’ve discovered that I can use the TV in the conservatory (the remote had gone wrong but now it’s fixed), I can watch TV and videos, including YouTube and iPlayer … which is a big bonus!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you're having slightly more fun than being in the hospital, Bob?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray Rousell,

      It’s certainly better at home than it was in hospital. For one thing, being in the conservatory means I can actually see day light!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Best of luck with all the travel coming up chap, hopefully you will be refreshed enough for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Demitri Ioannou,

      The most tiring bit about the travel to and from hospital is all the waiting around one has to do. Luckily, I don’t have anymore visits to hospital booked for after next Friday.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Sadly keeping to schedule as a career is a problem, my wife has been working in homecare for over 10 years and it is common for them not be given any or insufficient travelling time between clients and any delay with the previous client or say traffic delays have a knock on effect. (I will not go on about the rates of pay for what is a very demanding job)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Good Soldier Svjek,

      Very true about the reasons why a carer can be delayed, but Abdul is consistently late and keeps my other carers standing about waiting for him. (They have to have two of them present to operate the hoist.) Furthermore, he never lets them know that he has been delayed, which seems as discourteous to them as much as it is inconvenient to me.

      You’re right about the pay being very poor for what they have to do. At least I am continent and not suffering from dementia, unlike many of their clients.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Glad you're finally home, wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      Cheers! It’s amazing how much better I feel sleeping in my own home. I’m sure that will help me get better quicker.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Fingers crossed for the checks this week Bob and hope you get back on your feet soon, both literally and figuratively!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      Funnily enough, none of these tests this week have been related to my broken right leg. The CT and MRI were on my left leg to see if the can find the cause of its weakness and the whole body bone scan is to ensure that my colorectal and prostate cancers have not spread to my skeleton.

      The results should be through in about a week … I hope!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. Glad you are at home and on the mend, take care Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      Cheers! I’m getting better slowly and hope to be no longer bed-bound by the end on the month.

      Unfortunately, I’m not sure if I’ll be mobile enough to go to COW. My recent CT and MRI scans might highlight the underlying cause of my weakened left leg (the one that gave way causing me to break my right leg) but until that situation can be sorted out, my mobility will be drastically limited.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.