Pages

Friday, 21 August 2026

American Civil War Campaign: The Battle of Akragas City!

This is a report of the second battle of the American Civil War campaign that Professor Gary Sheffield and I are fighting.


Report to the Confederate C-in-C from the commander of Confederate States' forces in Akragas City, South Carolina

Dear General,
I am writing this shortly after nightfall on what has been a most sanguinary day. We retain possession of Akragas City, but the enemy are inside our fortifications to the west and north and are blocking the road leading east. In short we are surrounded and have taken heavy casualties. Indeed, it was only the coming of night at turn 15 that saved the army from exhaustion – we were but one point away. The enemies's losses too have been heavy. but not, I fear, as heavy as ours.
Before the battle commenced, we had built the fortifications on three sides, the fourth of course being the seawards flank. I deployed my cavalry brigade to screen the eastern flank, from once I judged the most serious threats to come, viz along the coastal road. The Yankee Southern Brigade did indeed materialise on that very highway. I dismounted my cavalry, and this force of noble equestrians, and my elite 1st Brigade, handily held that position for the duration of the fracas; on no occasion did an enemy succeed in putting his long Yankee nose inside the eastern fortifications, although late in the day an enemy unit established itself in the woods through the immediate north and was able to bring some firepower to bear, with indifferent success.
Alack and alas, it was a different story in the centre and west of our position. The enemy's Central Brigade, supported by remains of his Cavalry Brigade, which was noticeably under strength and, perhaps as a consequence, played very little part in the battle, launched a fierce attack from the north. Enemy fire power drove back one of our gallant units and consequently the enemy in the form of one of the Zouave regiments was able to gain ingress to our fortifications. Sadly, one of my subordinate commanders, a most gallant fellow but lacking in tactical knowhow, failed to appreciate the importance of the hill just beyond the north eastern section of our fortifications. Our enemy, with the typical low cunning for which the Yankee is notorious, seized that very feature and was able to bring significant musketry to bear on the gallant defenders. Suffice it to say that eventually most of the northern and eastern fortifications, and of course their hinterland, were by moonrise in the hands of the enemy. As an honourable Southern gentlemen, my honesty compels me to admit that had the daylight continued but another hour, we should have been comprehensively defeated.
So now, General, I am on the horns of a dilemma, and the instructions that I crave you to render unto me, will be my only way of removing myself from this discomfiture. Pray informed me, can a relief force arrive within 24 at the most 36 hours? If so, I will cling on and await the second round of this battle. If however, the answer is nay, the choice is indeed bleak.
I could attempt to break out to the east or north, and move into enemy-held territory. This has the advantage of probably achieving surprise, but local intelligence informs us there is a sizeable enemy force advancing towards us and so seems to be very risky course of action.
I could attempt to break out to the west, but as this is an obvious move and I would be significantly outnumbered it would be a desperate measure indeed.
I could ask the enemy for his peace terms. He actually offered me honourable terms on Turn 13, proposing that my force would be allowed to withdraw unmolested with our weapons and equipment along the road to the west. At the time I considered that even terms such as these to be beneath my dignity. In retrospect perhaps I was too hasty. I sincerely doubt that anything as generous will be offered now; I am compelled to believe that the only proposal will be offered will be that of surrendering my force.
General, I beseech you let me know your mind on this matter, at the first available opportunity.
I remain, your obedient servant,
Commander of Confederate States' forces in Akragas City, South Carolina

The situation leading to the Battle of Akragas City.

So, it looks as if the Confederate forced will be forced to withdraw from its prepared positions, and the Union troops seem to have achieved a notable victory.


Since this report was received by the Confederate commander-in-chief on Sicily, the following was message has been received:

Sir, one of our patriotic civilians in Akragas City obtained an order from the Yankee Commander, which is here attached. It is stomach churning in its boastfulness.
Order of the day from General Jolyon Custard, commander of United States Army forces in Akragas City.
Well boys, you sure whupped them Rebs. We have them pinned into this Sesesh dung heap like a rattlesnake in a trash can - and just like them rattlers, these Rebs can be mighty dangerous when cornered. So y'all keep your eyes peeled and your wits about you. But otherwise spend tomorrow getting yourself back into fine fettle, cos cause sure as eggs is eggs, there's more a fighting coming down the Turnpike.
In the meantime, you fellas in the artillery can bombard those southern rapscallions in that there town - hopefully that will make them see sense, and come out with their hands up, or else they have the cheery prospect of eating rats when they run out of food. We kin just wait it out, as our force grows bigger over the next few days as our reinforcements arrive, at the same time as those Rebels get more difficult to see sideways on.
I have ordered the sending of a telegram to Mr Lincoln in Washington to tell him that glad news. Old Abe will, I'm sure, the gratified by our victory.

Some photographs of the Battle of Akragas City.

Please note that the photographs featured above are © Professor Gary Sheffield.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.