Pages

Thursday 4 July 2013

1939: Battle of Westerplatte

I have mentioned before that one of the iconic images I have of the start of World War II is of the German pre-dreadnought battleship Schleswig-Holstein firing at the Polish fortress of Westerplatte.


What I had not realised until today was that a Polish film company had made a film about the attack on Westerplatte entitled 1939: BATTLE OF WESTERPLATTE. When I saw that a DVD of the film was on sale in a local supermarket, I felt that I had to buy it, even though the dialogue is all in Polish. (There are English subtitles.)


This is the second Polish-language film that I have bought this year (the first was BATTLE OF WARSAW) and I am looking forward to watching it after the forthcoming weekend.




N.B. All the film stills that are shown above are Copyright 2013 Filmmedia SA.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,
    I watched both films last Thursday and enjoyed both tremendously. They are not Hollywood and the use of real humans rather than CGI is quite a pleasant change.
    May I recommend films like The Deluge and Fire on the Steppe, as well as Colonel Wolodowski (sic) which were superior military stories set in the 1700's. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CelticCurmudgeon,

    Thanks very much for your positive comments and the films recommendations. I will look out for both films, and if I see them, I will buy them.

    I was very impressed by BATTLE OF WARSAW, and the use of large numbers of actors/extras made the film better than it might have been. Having seen the trailer and the still for 1939: BATTLE OF WESTERPLATTE I felt that it was going to be as impressive.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to keep an eye out for this. I love foreign language films and pretty often they are as good or better than anything Hollywood churns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee Hadley,

    Foreign language films often have very high production values, and if the trailer for this film is anything to go by, this is a good example of what is currently out there.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stumbled upon the film during my polish language class- it is a very well put together film and possibly the second best film that I will see this year. What really made it stand out was the use of sound during the fire fights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sylwia Polak,

    It is an excellent film, and it is great to see that such good films from Eastern Europe are becoming available in the UK.

    All the best,l

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.