Pages

Friday 23 May 2014

New from old?

Many, many years ago I created a couple of large 15mm-scale early twentieth century wargames armies using Peter Laing figures. (They were supposed to be the armies of Bolivia and Paraguay during the Chaco War ... but got used for all sort of other late nineteenth and early twentieth century conflicts as well.) I used them a lot back in the early 1980s, but after that they languished in a number of storage boxes. Every so often I would get them out of their storage boxes, look at them ... and then put them back.

A couple of months ago, after a big spring clean of my toy/wargames room, I passed some of my collection onto a couple of fellow wargamers. I decided to keep the rest in the hope I could find a use for them ... and now I think that I have. Hopefully I am going to use some of them to play-test Ross Macfarlane's 19C SQUARE BRIGADIER wargame rules.

My figures were fixed to multi-figures bases made from very thin plywood ...


... but the rules use single figure bases so I decided to cut the multi-figures bases so that each figure was on a separate base ...


... which I then trimmed ...


... before gluing each one to a steel five pence coin.


The bases will require painting and flocking before they can be used, but that should not take very long to do. (I may also paint some additional detail on the figures ... but I won't decide whether or not to do so until I have re based the figures.)

6 comments:

  1. Good work young Cordery - there's nothing like getting old war horses back on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conrad Kinch,

    I have quite a few more than I could rebase if these prove successful.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doctorphalanx,

    Peter Laing figures always were simple and easy to paint ... and they were reasonably anatomically correct.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, I love seeing the old PL figures being re-used

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ian Dury,

    I only wish - yet again - that they were still available.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.