Pages

Sunday 4 May 2014

Rest and recuperation

Some months ago my wife and I booked a cruise. It was due to leave on the Saturday of the Easter weekend, and until a fortnight or so before we went I was really looking forward to it ... and then I had a visit from the black dog.

Although the worst of the depressive episode was past by the time we began to get ready to go on the cruise, if I had had the opportunity to cancel and not go, I would have. I really did not fancy having to meet and get to know lots of new people; I just wanted peace and quiet. My wife was sympathetic, but she insisted that we should go as she thought it would do me good to get away.

She was right ... and I was wrong.

For the last two weeks we have been cruising to, around, and back from the Western Mediterranean aboard P&O Cruise's Azura. Other than a brief spell of bad weather, the seas were calm, the sun was bright, and the places we visited were interesting. I will be writing several blog entries about our cruise and two of the places we visited, and they will be appearing sometime over the next week or so.

During the cruise I did nothing that was wargames-related ... and as a result I have come back feeling much more positive about the various projects I am currently working on. I have also come back with the realisation that I cannot do everything at once, and that I am going to have to prioritise some of them ... but more of that over the coming days and weeks.

22 comments:

  1. Ashley,

    Thanks. It was great getting away ... but also good to get home again.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,
    Good to hear your cruise drove the black dog away!
    I look forward to reading about it, and your wargame projects again.
    Best wishes,
    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to hear you are doing well and had a great trip. I had to go back to Canada the last week of April as my mother was tragically killed in a car accident. So I am looking at the bright side of life, as I do not want to wallow in sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arthur1815,

    The cruise has certainly helped me to feel a lot better, and I am really keen to get going with one or two of my projects.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irishhighlander,

    I am very sorry to hear about the death of your mother in such tragic circumstances. The death of a loved one is always a difficult blow to deal with, the more so when it is so unexpected.

    Please accept my sincere condolences, and I hope that you can find the strength to be able to cope with your tragic loss.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back Bob, good to see you back to your old (young) self.

    I look forward to your travelogue entries.

    I am getting sale items ready for Carronade next weekend then the weekend after I will be off to Florida and the Bahamas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob

    Splendid news.

    The little woman always knows best; as mine likes to mention occasionally, daily.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim Duncan,

    I am feeling much better ... but one thing that I am NOT going to do is to go back to my previous tempo of blogging. One-a-day for me from now on ... or at least for the present time!

    I hope you enjoy your time at CARRONADE and your forthcoming holiday. You probably need the break as much as I did.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arthur,

    Wives always know best ... and are usually very reasonable when it comes to mentioning the fact. Once per day is very reasonable in my opinion.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to hear the trip went well. It is good to have you back..
    Best Wishes
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  11. A bit of R & R can work wonders Bob

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to hear that sea cruises can be as therapeutic as their reputation suggests. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tradgardmastare,

    It's good to be back home feeling better and with lots of motivation to do some wargaming.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  14. Johntheone,

    It certainly did!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ross Mac,

    It's all that sea air, relaxation, good food, and interesting places to go that do the trick.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's very good, Bob. I'm glad to hear it helped. Your wife is wise.

    My condolences to Irishhighlander - it is hard to lose loved ones and doubly so when you haven't had time to prepare.

    Best wises all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fitz-Badger,

    I agree with you ... but I won't mention it to my wife that I think that she is!

    I think that all our thoughts and support go out to irishhighlander at this terrible time.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to hear Bob and good to have you back.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pat G,

    It is great to be back, especially as I feel so much better than I did!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good to hear you're recovering. It's all too easy to get overstretched. I make a conscious effort to consolidate from time to time, and otherwise to circulate my interests so I don't have too many on the go at once.

    Best

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  21. Doctorphalanx (Richard),

    Thanks for your kind words.

    I find it too easy to get overcommitted with projects and ideas, and I need to be a bit more relaxed about things. It is one way to ensure that I reduce my self-imposed stress.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.