Pages

Sunday 28 January 2018

World War I Seaplane and Aircraft Carriers

During my recent visit to the local branch of Waterstones bookshop I bought a copy of WORLD WAR I SEAPLANE AND AIRCRAFT CARRIERS.


The use of aircraft by various navies during the First World War has always interested me, and this book is quite a good, brief introduction to the topic. It includes a section that looks at the way in which the major navies introduced and developed the use of aircraft at sea, and a second section that gives a brief history of the operational use of seaplane and aircraft carriers. The third section covers the technical characteristics as well as a short service history of each of the vessels used as a seaplane and aircraft carrier.

My particular favourites included HMS Furious after her landing deck was added but before she was converted into a full-blown, flush-deck aircraft carrier ...



and the French Foudre, which was converted from a torpedo boat carrier.




WORLD WAR I SEAPLANE AND AIRCRAFT CARRIERS was written by Mark Lardas and illustrated by Paul Wright. It was published in 2016 by Osprey Publishing as No.238 in their 'New Vanguard' series (ISBN 978 1 4728 1378 7).

4 comments:

  1. Rather nice 3D printed model of Foudre here - http://www.wtj.com/product6116.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nigel Drury,

      What a splendid model! If only I could think of a good enough reason to buy one.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Geordie an Exile FoG,

      I thought that it might ...

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.