Pages

Monday 21 May 2018

A busy couple of days ahead

I have a busy couple of days ahead of me.

One of the people proof reading my gridded naval wargames book has sent me several pages of notes that I need to go through in detail so that I can correct the mistakes he has found. (The mistakes are mainly typos and sentences with mixed tenses.) I will then send him back the corrected proof so that he can do one final check before I have some proof copies of the book printed.

I also have to attend two Masonic meetings, one in London (this afternoon) and the other in St Albans (on Tuesday). The London meeting is a Third Degree ceremony, but due to the sudden and unexpected death of a senior member of the Lodge, I fully expect to be asked to take an active part in the ritual rather than sit on the sidelines as a spectator. The Tuesday meeting is the Installation of a new Worshipful Master into the chair of his Mother Lodge, and he invited me some time ago as he serves as the Inner Guard of the Hertfordshire research Lodge of which I am currently Worshipful Master.

In addition to all of this I am also trying to ensure that Wargame Developments (of which I am the Treasurer/Membership Secretary) is fully compliant with the General Data Protection Regulations by the deadline ... which is in four day's time.

Have I taken things easy since I retired? I don't think so!

8 comments:

  1. Bob,
    From the sounds of it you will be very involved with great responsibility too for some time. Things here are a little different - I'm currently trying to save enough beans to purchase my first regiments for my Fictional 1846 Imagi-Nations Armies..and that is about it for me- oh, and the washing-up after tea. Wish you well Bob in all that you intend to do and complete. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson,

      I learned years ago at school that because I was bigger than most of my fellow pupils, I'd always get 'volunteered'. In the end I just volunteered before I was picked ... and got into the habit of taking on responsibilities. At least it keeps my busy!

      Good luck with your imagi-nations project. The 1848 period is an interesting one as the uniforms are still very similar - but not identical - to those worn during the Napoleonic period at the same time that technology was beginning to have an impact (e.g. steam power, railways, rifled weapons).

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Bob,
      Yes- 1846 -48 is interesting...I have chosen to use the US Troops from the Mexican-American War of 1846-7 in 18mm. I will be employing the same 18mm figures for both sides for my European style Armies of 1846 using a subtle uniform color change. I've had good fortune- I have made enough beans from my e-Bay this evening to be able to place a modest first order for the 18mm Figures from Eureka in Melbourne. Best wishes. KEV.

      Delete
    3. Kev Robertson,

      You seem to have a very sound plan, and having a source of figures that don't have to be imported is a big plus as well.

      I look forward to seeing how your project progresses.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    4. Bob,
      Yes- Nick of Eureka tends to deliver his castings within the week -which is a far cry from waiting three weeks and as much as up to six weeks from Overseas...in the past I've had Projects which I had simply lost interest in because I could not receive the figures and armies sooner...anyway, yes - I do have a sound plan for my 1846 Fictional Project which I am very excited about -chafing at the bit to get started. All the best with your Grid Naval Wargaming book. Cheers. KEV.

      Delete
    5. Kev Robertson,

      The cost of buying stuff from overseas and the time delays in deliveries has put me off purchasing things in the past, so I can really appreciate the problems you have experienced. Having Eureka as a local supplier must make things so much easier.

      I really hope that you get a lot of fun and enjoyment out of your latest project.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Better to be busy in retirement than bored to death!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee Hadley,

      Very true ... but unfortunately my body sometimes reminds me that I'm not quite a young as I used to be!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.