Pages

Tuesday 22 May 2018

Other people's Portable Wargames ... at the Victorian Military Society's recent seminar

Last Saturday was a very important day (and I am not referring to the Royal Wedding or the FA Cup Final!) as it was the date of the Victorian Military Society's Seminar: INVASIONS SCARES AND THE 'BATTLE OF DORKING'.


Unfortunately, I was unable to go, but I understand that during the lunch break, the Battle of Dorking was re-fought using 15mm figures, my PORTABLE WARGAME rules, and a purpose-built terrain board. I have seen some photographs of both the figures and the terrain, and it all looked very, very impressive. These can be seen on the Society’s Facebook page.

I hope that more information about the game will become available in the fullness of time as it is exactly the sort of wargame I envisaged being fought using my rules.

4 comments:

  1. Bob was kind enough to send me a copy of the game flyer, with a map of the terrain, and a photo of the game. The latter looked splendid and, IMHO, demonstrated that a simple, stylised battlefield on a grid can look just as attractive as the diorama-standard displays of military modelling that seem to gain all the kudos in the hobby press and prizes at the shows.
    The VMS display showed a wargame that was visually attractive, but - more importantly - achievable without an inappropriate expenditure of time and money, and - thanks to Bob's PW rules - actually playable in a reasonable time.
    Best wishes,
    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur Harman (Arthur),

      The whole game looked even better than I hoped it would, and had the 'look' of a modern-day version of H G Wells' lawn games.

      The work that went into producing the terrain and the figures produced a stylised but nonetheless very effective tabletop battlefield, and hopefully it will help to set a trend that others will follow.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Bob, The Portable Wargame version of the Battle of Dorking will be at Hammerhead in Newark next year.

    Regards,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard Black (Richard),

      I don't know if I'll manage to get there, but if it is at all possible, I'll try!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.