Pages

Thursday 21 March 2019

My batch of renovated 20mm-scale Spanish troops

During the sort out before I began the process of renovation, varnishing, and re-basing my collection of 20mm-scale World War II figures, I found some Spanish Civil War figures manufactured by Irregular Miniatures. I had previously used them to represent German engineering troops, and decided to renovate them so that they could represent troops of the Spanish Blue Division (in Spanish: División Azul; in German: Blaue Division) that fought on the Eastern Front.



Although the uniforms are by no means accurate (they are, in fact, totally inaccurate!), I'm happy with the result.

Whilst in Spain, the troops wore large red berets (as worn by the Carlist Requetes), green khaki trousers (as worn by the Legion Extranjero or Spanish Foreign Legion), and blue shirts (as worn by the fascist Falange). The latter led to the units being called the División Azul.

Whilst serving with the German Army, the troops wore normal German uniforms with a shield on the upper right sleeve in the Spanish colours of red and gold, surmounted by the word España.


My figures have been painted in uniforms that are similar to those worn by the Legion Extranjero or Spanish Foreign Legion, including the fore-and-aft forage cap (gorillo or isabelino with a tassel in the branch-of-service colour at the front.


Whilst this uniform was not worn on the Eastern Front, it does make the unit look different from the other Axis units, which is why I have chosen not to repaint the figures.

8 comments:

  1. I like the idea of them wearing a different uniform, as it gives them character and makes them stand out on the table top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      The different uniform - and especially the headgear with its distinctive tassel - certainly makes them stand out from the rest.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Pete.,

      Thanks very much! I was quite pleased with the way the renovation worked, especially as I had to re-paint the belts etc., from black to brown.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Tim Gow,

      It was great to find a new role for these almost forgotten figures. I now have a few Hungarians on my table undergoing a similar upgrade.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Chris Kemp,

      Cheers! I hope to add some gunners and artillery to their numbers in due course.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.