Pages

Tuesday 5 March 2019

Other people's Portable Wargame battle reports: The Battle of Dorking and some interesting air combats

Chris Ager (a fellow member of Wargame Developments) posted an image of the Victorian Military Society/Continental Wars Society's BATTLE OF DORKING wargame in action at HAMMERHEAD 2019 on the WD Facebook page.


The VMS/Continental Wars Society staged an earlier re-fight of this battle at their October 2018 seminar about invasion literature.

At the same time, three air battles using the air combat rules from DEVELOPING THE PORTABLE WARGAME were featured on the Heretical Wargaming blog.


The battle reports formed part of an excellent review of my very basic air combat rules as well as some interesting suggestions as to how they could be improved.

Please note that the photographs featured above are © Chris Ager and Heretical Wargaming.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Bob, do my eyes deceive me or is Chris using an ungridded board to play your PW rules?
    Best wishes
    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anthony Morton (Anthony),

      Judging by some other photographs I have seen, the board is gridded, but the grid is marked on very faintly.

      All the best,

      Bob

      PS. Chris Ager only took the photograph. He was not part of the group staging the game.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the links Bob. I've played the Battle of Dorking before using BBB rules, which makes for a great game. I've yet to try your air rules, which look to be good and the Blog link has some good ideas to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      I must admit that I'd love to give the Battle of Dorking a try, but don't quite have the right figures to do so.

      The original PW Air Combat rules are very, very basic ... but they do work, and the changes suggested in the blog entry improve them without adding too much complexity.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I like the little air battles from Heretical Wargaming ;)
    I must try it myself in 1/144

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      I must admit that the changes he has made improve upon my original rules no end, and I'm tempted to give them a try myself.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Bob,
    Thanks for the post! I was just thinking about your air wargame rules last evening. Thinking I should give them a go. I have few WWII era aircraft miniatures, but do have counters from various board games. Now that I've seen counters in use, I do believe that a game will be added to my list to f upcoming games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike Taber,

      I particularly like the use of the counters on the map. It seemed to produce the right sort of 'look' that just having them 'fly' over a simple blue background did not.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.