Pages

Sunday 12 May 2019

Making the terrain boards for 'Carry On up the Nile!' (1)

Having decided to run a session at COW2019 to showcase Chris Engle's POLITICS BY OTHER MEANS, I decided to get everything ready well in advance. The scenario was simple; it was a follow-on from last year's Matrix Game of SAVE GORDON! Writing the character sheets (which tell the players a little about the person they represent in the game and laying down some simple behavioural goals they need to maintain) was a relatively simple and quick task, as was sorting out the figures I was going to use. This left one task ... preparing the terrain, which needed to be as light as possible.

I originally envisaged either using a printed terrain map as I had for the COW2018 session, but I felt that this would not look right and that players deserved something a little more three dimensional. I then tried using my Hexon II terrain tiles, and whilst I could produce a satisfactory 3D representation of the terrain, I was worried that players might not realise that the hexes had nothing to do with the rules they were using.

I pondered what to do ... and during a visit to a branch of THE WORKS – a discount book and craft store – I saw some large, cheap painter's canvases on sale. I bought four, and set about turning them into terrain boards. To do this I required:
  • Four large (18-inch x 24-inch) painter's canvases, which gave me a total area of 36-inches/3’ x 48-inches/4’
  • Some cheap PVA glue (bought from a branch of POUNDLAND)
  • Some A4-sized sheets of foamcore board (which I already had to hand)
  • Some cheap acrylic paint (bought from THE WORKS and another discount store)
  • A large (1-inch) paint brush
I used the sheets of foamcore to reinforce the back surface of each canvas, and some foamcore off-cuts to provide some rigidity in the centre of each canvas.


I then ‘primed’ each canvas with two coats of PVA to seal the surface and to tighten them. (The water in the PVA causes the cotton to shrink very slightly, which helps to make the surface a little more rigid.)

8 comments:

  1. Well, this is very exciting Blue Peter stuff! I like novel craft solutions to wargames problems.

    Cheers
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rumblestrip (Andrew),

      As I'm not sure how many times these terrain boards will be used, I didn't want to spend a lot on money ... hence the use of craft materials that were either on hand or cheap and easy to buy.

      By the way, no sticky-back plastic has been used ... so far!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hello Bob,
    Very clever solution you have devised - and economical too. Look forward to the COW Convention Report on your success. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Cheers! It's a relatively cheap and simple solution as well as being quite light to carry and store.

      Over the next week or so, I'll be writing further blog entries about making my terrain boards and terrain features for this game.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Watching this closely Bob - while making a shopping list at the same time ;)

    I was thinking useful for Oceans ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exile FoG,

      I think that the boards will stand up to a reasonable amount of wear and tear ... and long as no one leans on them, they should survive the rigours of COW!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Interestinger and interestinger, said Alice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo,

      There's more on the horizon about this project that I am sure will interest Alice!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.