Pages

Saturday 15 June 2019

Now I know where I got the design from!

Yesterday, whilst re-watching the film KHARTOUM (it was essential research for my forthcoming game at COW2019!), I noticed that at one point, members of the relief force can be seen boarding a Nile steamer ...


... and I suddenly realised where I must have got the outline of the design of my model Nile steamer from!


Admittedly the steamer in the film has two decks and the model only has one ... but the general layout is very similar.

It might not be obvious from the photograph, but I have repainted the deck of my model with a lighter shade of paint. The original colour was rather too dark, but the new colour seems to look more the colour of a scrubbed wooden deck ... which is the look that I wanted to achieve.

6 comments:

  1. I recognized it straight off. My first steamer (to fit 1/72nd Esci Brits) was similar but with more deck and fiddly posts and rails. Far too frail for wargaming. Simple and robust is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      You've obviously got a better memory that me!

      Years of experience have taught me to build my models so that they are as robust as possible ... and that means keeping the amount of detail as limited as I can get away with.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. How many times did I watch "Khartoum" before this year's Donald Featherstone tribute game at the Wargames Holiday Centre in March?
    Did it help? Possibly to get into the atmosphere, but game-wise, not at all.
    But in my book, before playing a game, watch all available "real" video and all Hollywood video versions first. They can only add to the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whiskers,

      I like to use films, videos, and music to get me in the mood, but one has to be careful which you choose, for example, I'd never watch BATTLE OF THE BULGE before fighting a wargame of the battle!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob,
    Yes- The Movie Khartoum staring Charlton Heston is one of my all-time favorite movies watching it several times on VHS then DVD over the decades. I was very lucky to watch Khartoum on the Cinema Screne in a Theatre in Sydney when the movie was first released- it was all very spectacular- it left a huge impression on me. I think that one of the steamers in the movie was named 'ABBAS'. Your model looks great- just the right dimensions and size for your game at COW. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I also first watched the film on a cinema screen, and was mightily impressed! Despite its flaws, it still remains on of my favourite films.

      I think that the ABBAS might still be in existence, and used for cruises on the Nile.

      All the best,

      Bob

      PS. Thanks for your kind comment about my model boat; it is much appreciated.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.