Pages

Sunday 21 July 2019

Other people's Portable Wargame battle reports: The Battle of Quatre Bras

Archduke Piccolo has done it again! Having recently used my PORTABLE WARGAME rules to fight a 'hidden scenario' version of the Battle of Kut, he has now turned his attention to play-testing my PORTABLE NAPOLEONIC WARGAME rules again, this time with a re-fight of the Battle of Quatre Bras.

Needless to say, he has come up with some very interesting suggestions for how the rules could be improved so that large-scale battles can be fought using them, and I recommend anyone wanting to do that to seriously consider adopting them.

As for the battle report ... well to me it read very much like the story of a real battle, with the ebb and flow first favouring one side and then the other. An very informative introduction to the re-fight (which includes the ORBATs) can be read here, whilst the full battle report (including suggested rule changes) can be read here.

The following photographs give a glimpse of some of the action.








Please note that the photographs featured above are © Archduke Piccolo.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Bob. Now that I have read it as though seeing it for the first time, I have become aware that I haven't been as lucid as I might have been in discussing the resolution of combat situational bonuses and penalties. I will redo this soon.

    In the meantime, I have fought out the sequel to the 'Battle of Kut' action. Tell you what: them there Turkowaz chappies might be rabble, by Jupiter, but they're hard fighting rabble!

    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      I felt that your battle report and suggested rule changes deserved a wider audience, and I look forward to your expanded version of the latter in due course.

      Likewise, I am looking forward in great anticipation for your next Colonial battle report. I'm not surprised that the Turkowaz troops haven't been the pushover that their status would imply. In the right circumstances, even poor quality troops can perform wonders.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.