Pages

Tuesday 27 August 2019

Creating contiguous hills

One thing that the most recent map produced using my terrain generator threw up was the need for some adjustment to be made so that it was possible for contiguous lines of hills to be generated. On this particular map, three hills randomly ended up being placed next to each other, thus creating a ridge or line of hills, which is the sort of natural feature that generals look for when considering where and how to fight a battle.


I think that this would not be too difficult to do using the existing terrain generator rules. All I would have to do is to use something very akin to the rules regarding the location of towns (see 5.2) and 'cost' the additional hills either from the number already 'generated' or as some form of bonus.

It something that I want to think about including in the next version of my terrain generator.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,
    Perhaps it could be that for generating multiple hills that the rules include rolling for such on a D6...'1-2' (Single Hill), '3-4' (Double Hill), '5-6' (Tripple Hill)...? Just my suggestion only - perhaps of some use. Best Wishes. KEV.
    p.s., I built a US Cruiser (1898) - will post up on Blog soon tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      That's a nice and simple idea! Thanks for sharing it; I may well adopt it, or something very similar.

      I look forward to seeing your model cruiser.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.