Pages

Wednesday 27 October 2021

The first meeting of my Mother Lodge since 2020

Today I will be attending the first meeting of my Mother Lodge (The Grove Park Lodge No.2732 in the Province of Hertfordshire) since February 2020.

The crest of the Masonic Province of Hertfordshire.

We have been very lucky in that none of the members has died during the COVID-19 pandemic, although at least one of them has caught and survived the virus. As a result, today's meeting will not be a sombre one, and we can concentrate on getting back into the swing of regular Masonic meetings.

The crest of The Grove Park Lodge No.2732.

Every Lodge is rather like a small club, and as in all clubs, friendships develop and grow over the years. We have tried to keep in contact with each other during the gap since early 2020 with regular Zoom meetings, but although this is a great way to stay in touch, it is a poor substitute for actually meeting each other in the flesh.

The main business of today's meeting is to hear a talk by one of our members about the Masonic Knights Templars (or The United Religious, Military and Masonic Orders of the Temple and of St John of Jerusalem, Palestine, Rhodes and Malta to give them their full title). He is currently the Commander of the London Provincial Prior’s Bodyguard and has visited various sites in the Middle East that are associated with the history of the original Knights Templar.

So today's meeting is going to be an interesting one, with friendships being renewed and a little Masonic learning thrown in for good measure. It will also be the first time I have attended my Mother Lodge since I was promoted to Grand Rank, and no doubt I will be expected to buy everyone a drink to celebrate!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on (sort of) getting back to normal. My Scout group held a BTC (Brownsea Training Camp) for the first time since the beginning of this all. We had a great time bringing new adult leaders into our Rover program to act as scout leaders for the children. I know what you mean, after a year of zoom meetings, actually getting out to spend time with adults was nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      Just got back from the meeting … and it was great to get back into the swing of things. Some of us were a bit rusty, but everyone enjoyed themselves … and we may have signed up at least one joining member.

      It sounds as if you had a very rewarding time at your BTC. (By the way, I’ve been to Brownsea Island, which is near Poole in Dorset. If you ever get the chance to go there, I’m sure that you’d find it very interesting.)

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Just on my way to Mark masons Hall for a kt meeting. I hope you enjoyed the talk. I always hope I am not stopped by the police and then have to explain why I am carrying a large sword.
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown (Guy),

      Have a great meeting. I’m not in KTs because I am a Unitarian rather than a Trinitarian … which is a great pity as a very good friend of mine is currently Commander of the Prior’s Bodyguard and would love me to join.

      I once had my car searched whist I had the Provincial Sword in my boot. Luckily the blade is blunt (but it would hurt if you gave someone a clump with it!) and I had all my regalia with me. The officers questioned me for a couple of minutes, checked with their control room, and then allowed me on my way. I guess that whoever they checked with was able to vouch for me in some way.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.