Pages

Friday 9 June 2023

Well, that plan didn’t last long, did it?

It’s just over a week since I decided to do some work on my Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War collection, but since then I’ve made little progress … and the arrival of a copy of Gabriele Esposito’s ARMIES OF THE ITALIAN RISORGIMENTO has rather knocked me off course.

Reading the book gave me loads of ideas for possible imagi-nations set in the period from 1815 to 1850. Furthermore, it gives me a way to use some of the surplus figures from my Napoleonic collection that would otherwise sit in storage boxes. These might require some renovation, varnishing, and rebasing … but that shouldn’t take me too long, and then the fighting can begin!

So, what should I do? I suspect that I’m likely to work on both these projects in parallel for a while, which I know is bit of a cop out on my part … but who cares except me?


The sort of thing that I’m envisaging with regard to any 1815 to 1850 imagi-nations armies I might create would be somewhat akin to my Cordeguayan Civil War of 1820 armies. These fought several battles back in 2011 during the early stages of the development of the PORTABLE WARGAME.

The Presidential Army (led by President-for-Life and General José Santa Maria).
The Constitutionalist Army (led by General Roberto Branco).

12 comments:

  1. Hello there Bob,

    As a leading practitioner in the ancient and noble art of wargame butterfly flying I can heartily endorse you jumping in on this and fully understand why!

    It is a great way to use up figures that would otherwise sit around idle and it could also be an excuse to build some paddle steamer warships in support.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Crook,

      Guilty as charged, mi’lud!

      As you point out, that period saw the introduction of steam, and the thought of having crude paddle steamers and early steam railways really appeals!

      The butterfly has landed!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Bob, don't fight your inner butterfly! If inspiration strikes, go with it.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil Patterson (Neil),

      Wise words … and ones that I intend to heed!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob,
    Anything in the way of Imagi-nations is a boon...great to hear your enthused about your use of the photographed Armies...I assume the figures are 'Del-Prado'...I look forward to further developments- stay focused. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      They are all Del Prado WATERLOO LIVE figures. I glued them to cardboard bases and they were all later rebased on MDF bases.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Bob,
      It is really good that you have chosen to make a start on this 1850ish IMAGINATIONS Project that you have thought up - I remember back in October of 2022 having my moment of inspiration too for my Imagi-nations 'MYSTIC HORIZONS' Project (1860s)- believe me it is the best thing I've ever done in over forty years of war gaming- very pleased indeed. Best Wishes. KEV.

      Delete
    3. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      That moment of inspiration is difficult to explain to a non-wargamer … and it gives us so much enjoyment!

      I don’t think it will be as complete a project as your MYSTIC HORIZONS one … but if it brings me some enjoyment, it will be worth the effort I put into it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Hi Bob, it sounds like a lightbulb moment! The colour and spectacle of such a period would be very alluring. However you may have to consider the pros and cons of potentially too many projects? Best wishes- Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glory to Ruritania (Quinn),

      It certainly was one of those moments, and it will mean that toy soldiers that would otherwise go unused will now have a purpose.

      I was once told that no wargamer can ever have too many projects!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. I'm eagerly awaiting for my copy to arrive, to see what inspiration it contains, of which I imagine there is a lot:). I've been pondering re-flagging some units already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      I hope that you enjoy it when it arrives and that it gives you lots of ideas and inspiration.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.