Pages

Sunday 6 August 2023

Martinstaat 1744: A detailed wargame campaign set in a fictitious world

Like a lot of wargamers that enjoy wargaming with imagi-nations, I’ve been waiting for Henry Hyde’s latest book with bated breath. I decided to wait until it was available in hardback, and my copy was delivered on Thursday.

MARTINSTAAT 1744: A DETAILED WARGAME CAMPAIGN SET IN A FICTITIOUS WORLD is exactly as described in its title. It has 104 full-colour pages and is absolutely choker-block full of maps and illustrations that complement the text. The book is divided into the following chapters and sections:

  • A Word About Illustrations
  • Introduction
  • What Are Imagi-Nations?
  • Martinstaat 1744: The Background
    • The Campaign Background
    • Campaign Rules Used Specifically for 1744
    • The Opposing Forces for 1744
    • Prunkland’s Armed Forces in 1744
    • The Faltenian Army
    • My 1744 Planning Notes
  • The 1744 Campaign in Detail
    • Week 1:1st-7th February 1744
    • Week 2: 8th-14th February 1744
    • Week 3: 15th-21st February 1744
    • Week 4: 22nd-28th February 1744
    • Week 5: 1st-7th March 1744
    • Week 6: 8th-14thMarch 1744
    • Week 7: 15th-21st March 1744
    • Week 8: 22nd-28thMarch 1744
    • Week 9: 29th March-4th April 1744
  • Crossing the Steinwasser at W31
    • Situation
    • Week 10: 5th-11th April 1744
    • Week 11: 12th-25th April 1744
    • Week 12: 19th-25th April 1744
    • Week 13: 26th April-2nd May 1744
    • Week 14: 3rd-9th May 1744
    • Week 15: 10th-16th May 1744
  • Thoughts About the 1744 Campaign
  • A Few More Detailed Hexes
  • More About the Opposing Forces
  • The Cost of Raising an Army
    • Economics, Infrastructure and Supply Rules from the 1742 Campaign
    • Additional Economics, Infrastructure and Supply Rules and Amendments from the 1743 Campaign
    • Additional Notes Found
  • A Partial Atlas
  • Afterword: Guy's Perspective

Reading this book gave me an immense amount of fun ... and lots of ideas for my own campaigns!

This is a book for wargamers by an extremely talented wargamer, writer, illustrator, and cartographer, and I think that all wargamers should buy a copy. It might not be set in a period that you wargame (and I certainly don't wargame eighteenth century conflicts, even imagi-nation ones!) but you will gain so much from this book that it will repay its cost many times over.


MARTINSTAAT 1744: A DETAILED WARGAME CAMPAIGN SET IN A FICTITIOUS WORLD was written and illustrated by Henry Hyde and published in 2023 by Gladius Publications (ISBN 979-8-8532-4500-6).

12 comments:

  1. That looks very interesting. I think I will pick up a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      I bought the hardback edition, but it is also available in softback and PDF editions. The latter is available from Wargames Vault (https://www.wargamevault.com/product/446467/Martinstaat-1744?src=hottest_filtered).

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. I split the difference and ordered the soft back. Promises to be a good read.

      Delete
    3. Mark Cordone,

      A wise compromise! I hope that you enjoy it’s much as I have.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Did not know about this book, many thanks for bringing it to my attention, my period is mainly the 18th century so this book is a must buy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnie McGibbon,

      I’m pleased to have been of help … and I hope that you enjoy this book as much as I have!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I saw it advertised on The Wargames Website and have added it to my list:). It looks good but whether I need it, well that remains to be seen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      I think that it is an excellent book and would recommend it to all wargamers: however, only you can judge if you need it!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Great to read your thoughts Bob. Having read and re-read "The Wars of the Faltenian Succession" articles in Battlegames (and made a Map following the instructions therein) I'm looking forward to reading Henry's book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      I’ve also read THE WARS OF THE FALTENIAN SUCCESSION, and this is a more that worthy follow-up to that book.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. I do like mid-18th century (comes of having started with Charge!). I hope the Hoopla app will get it - they seem to have dropped his Wargaming Campaigns though they still have the Compendium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,

      CHARGE! was the first wargame book that I ever bought, although I’d taken out and read Donald Featherstone’s WAR GAMES from our local library so often that the librarian suggested that I ought to buy a copy!

      The book is available from Wargames Vault as a PDF for $30.00 (https://www.wargamevault.com/product/446467/Martinstaat-1744).

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.