Pages

Monday 29 July 2024

Sometimes things turn out to be somewhat more difficult to do than one expects

As I wrote in a blog post some days ago, over the past few days I have been trying to produce a YouTube video that explains how I create the gridded maps that I use for my wargames ... and it has not turned out to be as easy as I expected.

The program I was using to create the maps is MS Paint and it is essentially a rather simple and uncomplicated one to use ... BUT trying to explain how to use it has turned out to be far more difficult that I expected. So far, it has taken me sixteen MS PowerPoint slides to describe the basic tools on the toolbar and how to use them to create a simple one-off hexagon and I haven't even started the process of drawing an exemplar map!

An example of one of the MS PowerPoint slides that I created for this project.
Another example of one of the MS PowerPoint slides that I created for this project.

Long ago I learned that trying to teach someone how to use a computer program is far more complicated than one might expect. You can never make assumptions about the ability, prior knowledge, and experience of one's students ... and that those who seemed to know what they were doing could not always be relied upon to be doing things the right way. I well remember one student who knew all the shortcuts that normal users could use in MS Excel and would produce apparently well-functioning spreadsheets very quickly ... but when one looked at them in detail, there were full of errors that were generated by the inbuilt programing assumptions included by the software designers but that would not have occurred if he had used a slightly slower but more accurate method.

At the moment, I am going to put this project on the backburner. I may resurrect it at a later date, but if I do it will probably be in the format of a PDF booklet that users can print off and go through at their own pace.

6 comments:

  1. When you finish your article please include the means to print out the map you designed at full scale!!! I use a 1" grid in Power Point to draw maps or shapes for playing pieces and then it prints out at some other scale! I have to use the try and repeat method, drawing at different scales until I get it right. It uses a lot of ink and paper!
    All the Best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dick Bryant,

      I thought that this printing problem was unique to me! I have had similar problems in the past and have yet to find a solution that works the way I want it to. If I ever do, I'll let you know!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hola Bob.
    Realmente es difícil explicar algo como el uso de un programa informático.
    Muchas gracias por tu esfuerzo y por todo lo que compartes.
    Un saludo.
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bob.

      It's really difficult to explain something like the use of a computer program.

      Thank you very much for your effort and for everything you share.

      All the best.

      MM

      MM,

      Having taught students how to use various computer programs and to develop applications, I know that you have to aim at the lowest common denominator when it comes to understanding and using programs. You have to assume that the person in front of you knows nothing otherwise you will soon ‘lose’ the least knowledgeable, experienced, or confident students.

      I will try to do this again oneday … but probably not for some time.

      All the best,

      Bob

      MM,

      Después de haber enseñado a los estudiantes cómo utilizar varios programas informáticos y desarrollar aplicaciones, sé que hay que apuntar al mínimo común denominador cuando se trata de comprender y utilizar programas. Tienes que asumir que la persona que tienes delante no sabe nada, de lo contrario pronto “perderás” a los estudiantes con menos conocimientos, experiencia o confianza.

      Intentaré hacer esto de nuevo algún día... pero probablemente no hasta dentro de algún tiempo.

      Mis mejores deseos,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob -
    That brings back memories! About a zillion years ago - well, more than 40 - I used to write instructions for the use of terminals in a number of business house applications. My method was to go through the whole process myself as though I was one of the users, and note down and serialise absolutely everything I did, as I did it. If it took 'two steps to strike a match' then steps 1. and 2. were noted. Then I would draw the whole thing up as the 'how to' instruction.

    Seemed to work...

    There is quite a bit to MS Paint - none of it at all difficult, but just plenty to work with. One thing I find it that it is a good idea to keep a blank page or some sort of backgrounded page on file that you can open up for a given project. You just have to remember to 'Save As...' when you pause or complete the project. So I maintain a page of hexes and of squares with arrays commensurate with my tables.

    Keeping the arrays on file means you can print them on paper for hand drawn gridded maps, or even on transparencies in order to overlay them on, and hand-trace from, an existing map.

    MSPaint is a very useful piece of software!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

    Your methodology sounds very similar to my own. Put yourself into the place of the user, and explain what to do step-by-step ... and hope that they can follow the instructions!

    It always amazed me that when software developers tested new software, they rarely seemed to get feedback from the people who would actually have to use the software. Far too often, the people commissioning the new software never had to use it and had little understanding of the tasks it as going to be asked to perform. I can well remember my brother telling me that a software program he developed to meet a design specification given to him by the senior management of a company proved to have an interface that was so cumbersome for the people who actually had to use it that it had to be completely redesigned.

    I love using MS Paint. It is simple and allows me to work at pixel level on drawings etc., unlike some of its replacements programs. I also have a blank page open when I am using it for exactly the reasons you give. I have also created numerous hexes and squares that contain individual terrain features (e.g. woods, roads) that I can 'cut and paste' onto my master map as and when they are needed. Creating them can be a bit of a chore but it pays dividends later on.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.