Pages

Wednesday, 2 September 2026

Another progress report about my Portable Belle Époque Wargame rules (3)

As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, the significant changes I am making to THE GATLING'S JAMMED rules from THE PORTABLE COLONIAL WARGAME book are as follows:

  • Machine guns a treated like artillery and have their own fire phase.
  • The number of units a general can activate each turn is subject to a degree of randomness that depends upon their ability.
  • A timescale has been introduced.

The section that deals with the third of these currently reads as follows:

Timescale

  • The game day is divided into eight daytime turns and a night turn.
  • Each turn represents the time taken for two activation cards (one for each side) to be turned over and the relevant activations to take place.
    • Dawn (6.00am to 8.00am)
    • Early morning (8.00am to 10.00am)
    • Late morning (10.00am to Midday)
    • Noon (Midday to 2.00pm)
    • Early afternoon (2.00pm to 4.00pm)
    • Late afternoon (4.00pm to 6.00pm)
    • Early evening (6.00pm to 8.00pm)
    • Late evening (8.00pm to 10.00pm)
    • Night (10.00pm to 6.00am)
  • Battles usually start at dawn, but players may wish to randomise the start time.
  • No fighting is allowed during the night turn and therefore not activation cards are turned over.
  • Units may move once during the night turn without needing to be activated but may not move into a grid area that is adjacent to the front, flank, or rear of enemy unit.
  • During the night turn, units that have not been destroyed may regain a lost Strength Point (SP) by rolling one D6 die per unit.
  • Elite units add 1 to their D6 die score and Poor units deduct 1 from their D6 die score.
  • Results:
    • D6 die score = 5 or more: The unit regains 1 SP.
    • D6 die score = 4 or less: The unit does not regain any lost SPs.

4 comments:

  1. Another interesting addition to the PW Bob, and a further modification that I will need to try next time I play a suitable game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      As before, any constructive feedback is welcome.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I like these simple timing rules, especially the idea of the automatic activation and recovery potential during the Night move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WEK 3,

      I ‘borrowed’ this idea from an earlier set of PW-related rules that I wrote when I was interested in fighting battles along the lines laid down in SHAMBATTLE.

      All the best,

      Bob

      PS. That’s given mean idea for a new YouTube video!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.