Pages

Saturday, 10 October 2026

The side effects of this season's influenza vaccination

As I am over seventy-five-years-old, I would automatically qualify to have an NHS influenza vaccination, but because my immune system is compromised as a result of the chemotherapy and radiotherapy I had to to combat my prostate cancer, I have been having this every year for several years. Normally, I have the injection, feel a bit under the weather for a few days, and then everything returns to normal. However, this year I have really not had an easy time since I had my injection.

In fact, I first realised that my body was reacting to the vaccination within a few hours. I felt very hot and began sweating profusely, and by evening I was exhibiting the following symptoms of influenza, namely:

  • Sudden high temperature and sweating
  • Muscle and body aches, especially in my back, legs, and arms
  • A persistent headache
  • Extreme tiredness and bone-deep exhaustion
  • Persistent weakness and much reduced energy levels
  • Difficulty with sleeping

This lasted two days, after which I began to feel a lot better ... and then the symptoms returned. I checked with the NHS Helpline, and they advised me to stay indoors, take painkillers, and keep hydrated. I was also told that if the symptoms persist for more that two days, I should contact my doctor.

That two days have now passed ... and I an certainly better than I was. I still feel rather weary and my joints ache ... but the painkillers seem to be working and I am at least able to go out again.


According to the NHS ...

How flu vaccines work

  • Flu vaccines contain inactivated (killed) fragments of influenza viruses or weakened live influenza viruses that cannot cause the disease itself
  • Flu vaccines help your immune system to recognise and respond to influenza viruses
  • After vaccination, your immune system produces protective proteins called antibodies that learn how to fight off the infection if encountered in the future
  • Flu vaccines cannot give you flu. Protection through vaccination helps to reduce the risk of becoming seriously unwell from flu, and can help reduce the risk of hospitalisation and complications

3 comments:

  1. We have all been somewhat under the weather here this last week, Bob, so apart from your jab, I rather suspect there is quite a lot going around at the moment! Hopefully your jab will protect you!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve (Steve),

      That may well be the case. I had to miss my regular Wednesday game session ... and I have now discovered that I wasn't to only person who was feeling unwell that day.

      It could well be what a doctor once told me was known as a 'community virus'; 'everyone's got it; nobody knows what it is; and it disappears as quickly as it came.'

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you are feeling better.

    The flu vaccine is one of two vaccines that I know I cannot receive, unfortunately. I"m allergic to the constituents. Flue is a real killer and I really wish I could receive it.

    The other vaccine I'm allergic to is the yellow fever vaccine, which I received once in the service. It put me in the emergency room.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.