Pages

Thursday 6 August 2009

New version of When Empires Clash! – Colonial Variant now available

I have had several requests for further example armies to be included in the army lists at the back of these rules. The rules now contain example armies for both sides for the following conflicts:
  • The Second Afghan War (1878 – 1881)
  • The North-West Frontier of India (1878 – 1890)
  • The Zulu War (1879)
  • The First Boer War (1880 – 1881)
  • The Gordon Relief Expedition (1884 – 1885)
  • The North-West Frontier of India (1890 – 1900)
  • The Reconquest of the Sudan (1896 – 1898)
  • The Spanish-American War (1898)
  • The Second Boer War (1899 – 1902)
  • The Boxer Rebellion (1900 – 1901)
I have also made one major change to the Main Battle Rules. Regular Cavalry must now dismount in order to fire, whereas all other types of cavalry can fire then move or move then fire. In the latter case they suffer a penalty of minus one when using the dice to determine the effect of their gunfire.

The new version of these rules can be found on the Colonial Wargames Rules page of the Wargames Rules and Modelling section of my Colonial Wargaming website. Just follow the links from the front page or go via the ‘What is new?’ link.

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely cracking! I can almost feel a Rudyard Kipling moment coming on..........!!! Good call about the regular cavalry as well.

    This has given me a lot to ponder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ogrefencer,

    I thought that you would like them!

    After thinking about it, one reason why I have avoided the North-West Forntier is the portrayal of hills and mountains. I made some a few years back using the methods laid down on the Major General Tremorden Rederring website, and they worked well. However I did not have a use for them at the time and I passed them on to another wargamer. In retrospect, this was a silly thing to do but ...

    Perhaps I can make some more. I made my original ones from thin plywood (for the profile shape of the hill) and balsa blocks and planks (for the areas where the models could be placed). They were then painted using textured masonry paint.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob,

    Not silly at all. After all, living in Norfolk I didn’t know what a mountain looked like until you kindly donated yours!! 8=}

    They are well-used, as are the templated woods – and oft admired.

    Colonial rules printed and will be played on my return from Martin Goddard’s. They look most excellent.

    Tone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tone,

    You are quite right. At least in your ownership the mountains were used - for theory training the Norfolk Mountain Rescue Team ... amongst other things I seem to remember - which they weren't when I had them.

    I look forward to your feedback on the rules.

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. I had forgotten about the woods.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.