Pages

Monday 3 August 2009

When Empires Clash! – Colonial Variant now available

I have had several requests for a specific variant of the WHEN EMPIRES CLASH! rules from players who want to fight colonial battles. As this happened to be one of my favourite areas of wargaming I have produced a colonial variant of the rules, and they are now available online.

The rules can be found on the Colonial Wargames Rules page of the Wargames Rules and Modelling section of my Colonial Wargaming website. Just follow the links from the front page or go via the ‘What is new?’ link.

The variant has a few minor changes – mainly to the movement rules so that cavalry can mount and dismount – and includes a new weapon – the Pom-Pom gun.

A Pom-Pom gun and Australian crew during the 2nd Boer War. Having been on the receiving end of these guns, the British Empire forces acquired their own.
The rules also have a more comprehensive set of army lists for the following colonial conflicts:
  • The Zulu War (1879)
  • The First Boer War (1880 – 1881)
  • The Gordon Relief Expedition (1884 – 1885)
  • The Reconquest of the Sudan (1986 – 1898)
  • The Spanish-American War (1898)
  • The Second Boer War (1899 – 1902)
  • The Boxer Rebellion (1900 – 1901)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob, I have printed these off as well as the original set and was suitably impressed with the Army lists as well - these are nice and compact and easy to raise. I was curious though, your Colonial adventures seem to focus on Africa - have you ever dabbled in the NW Frontier? I must confess that the NW Frontier is my particular favourite so would be interested in your thoughts on it.

    All the best, Ogre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ogrefencer,

    This is the second request I have had for a NW Frontier army list so I suppose I am going to have to write one!

    Most of my colonial wargaming has been firmly based in Africa, and although I have a lot of books about the NW Frontier and Afghanistan I have not wargamed it very often. Now sounds like it could be a good time to start ... so pay another visit to the WEC Colonial variant in a day or so and there might be a couple of additional army lists for you to look at and drool over!

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. WEC Colonial should make it quite cheap to wargame a whole load of colonial conflicts, especially if you use 15mm metal figures or 20mm plastic figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed that many Colonial types are appearing in 20mm plastic and I had mulled over a plastic Arab Revolt set up some time ago. That said 15mm would give much greater coverage and given the WEC sized armies even the bank balance would not take too much of a hammering - I may even explore the 10mm stuff from Pendraken. I will be very interested in seeing the NW Frontier lists and will look out for them over the next few days.

    All the best, Ogre

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ogrefencer,

    I had a spare hour this morning and added both North-West Frontier and Second Afghan War army lists to the rules. I also made a couple of small changes to the rules.

    Visit the website and download the new version as soon as you like.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.