Pages

Tuesday 11 August 2009

A parting of the ways ... well sort of

I first began this blog last September, and have enjoyed writing it. It has made a tremendous difference to my wargaming, and I have written more wargames rules and fought more battles than ever before.

I have done all this whilst helping to run Wargame Developments – both in the role of Treasurer/Membership Secretary and Co-Conference Organiser for COW (the Conference of Wargamers) – and maintaining three wargames-related websites: It was whilst I was recently updating the Colonial Wargaming website that I wondered how many other websites that covered the same area were still 'up and running'; when I checked the results were disappointing. Most were moribund, although a few were keeping the flame of colonial wargaming alive.

I get very little feedback about my Colonial Wargaming website whereas I get loads of feedback – both in terms of comments and visitor 'hits' – on this blog. I have therefore decided that as from now – yesterday in fact – I will create and run a separate Colonial Wargaming blog. It is intended to supplement my existing website, not to replace it. I still intended to keep the Colonial Wargaming website as current as I can, but to use the Colonial Wargaming blog to keep readers aware of what I am doing on the colonial wargaming front.

I have no intention of letting this blog become moribund; it will remain my main blog and it will continue to have some colonial wargaming coverage. The latter is likely to be more general than at present, with detailed descriptions of specific colonial wargames rules and battle reports being ‘blogged’ on the new blog.

I hope that this makes as much sense to you as it does to me.

In the meantime, keep reading the blog!

10 comments:

  1. Having only just discovered your good self and your Colonial WG site, I have to say that I'm VERY interested and impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mad Carew,

    I am pleased to have you aboard, so to speak!

    Blog entries might be a bit irregular in coming for the first couple of weeks, but after that I expect things to settle down to a nice even tempo.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to your Colonial blog . . . indeed, I see that you currently have an interesting-looking article on hills. I think that I'll go read it now.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've often found that the problem is more to do (in my case at least) with the quantity of blogs that I run... other than my main one the others all fulfil pretty much the same function as your Colonial page - they are meant as a scrapbook/information source. I always end up not updating them for a while....

    If that's not important to you (ie. having a separate blog/page) then I would suggest that for you an alternative might just be to start using tags on your main blog - set one up for "Colonial" and everything is in one place, but by clicking on the tag you just see all the posts specific to Colonial gaming... the advantage being you only ever have to update one blog, and there is always information on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve,

    Although keeping websites up-to-date can be a drag, I find a blog easier to keep current. By running a general wargaming blog and a specific colonial wargaming blog I am hoping that the latter will encourage me to keep my colonial wargaming website more up-to-date as well.

    This is a bit of an experiment, but if I don't give it a try I won't know if it will work!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bob,

    I'm currently teetering on the brink of starting a second blog myself for general wargaming, so I'm effectively doing the reverse of you - starting up a general wargames blog in addition to an existing period-specific blog! I totally agree with what you say about a blog giving focus to a hobby - it makes an incredible difference!

    Good luck, and keep up the good work on both!

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  7. Craig,

    Thanks for your kind words and support.

    As soon as you set up your new blog, let me know its URL so that I can follow it.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Bob!

    As you requested, here's the link to my new blog:

    http://generalheadquarters.blogspot.com/

    Hope you enjoy!

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  9. CWT,

    Thanks for the link.

    I will read your new blog with great interest.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.