Pages

Saturday 11 September 2010

Another free plan

This afternoon my wife and I went shopping. I managed to buy some more Goblin Green paint from the local branch of Games Workshop (I do seem to be getting through quite a lot of it at the moment!), and on the way back to the car I happened to go into the newsagent, where I saw a copy of MARINE MODELLING INTERNATIONAL: PLANS & CONSTRUCTION SPECIAL.

What actually caught my eye was the '2 FREE PLANS' caption on the cover ... so I picked it up and realised that one of the free plans was for a Victorian Coastal Defence Battleship called HMS Lord Clive. This was not the name of an actual Victorian battleship, although the name was used for a coastal bombardment monitor during World War I.

The model is a 'stand off' scale model of what were termed 'breastwork' monitors or coastal defence ships, but it is generic enough for my purposes.

The real thing: HMS Glatton (1871)
As soon as I saw it I started to think about building something similar to it – but somewhat smaller – for my Colonial and nineteenth century wargames ... so I bought a copy of the magazine, and the plans have already been added to my archive of future projects ... which seems to be getting bigger and bigger by the day!

4 comments:

  1. certainly looks like fun in the bath-tub ;)

    For wargaming now I think small is beautiful, perhaps it is more of a necessity in a busy house with children ;)

    Is hidable a word? (The spell checker doesn't think so)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

    In this case small will be beautiful (even thought I don't have the children: I have a wife who likes things to be neat and tidy instead) and it will need to be stored in the increasingly restricted amount of space that I have.

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. If 'hidable' isn't a word, it ought to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am trying to slip an all too large pack of Navwar 1/3000 ships under the radar at the moment.

    Trouble is she is getting better at spotting things ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

    Good luck! Most wives seem to have a sixth sense when it comes to husbands who have bought too many toys!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.