Pages

Tuesday 21 September 2010

Comparing movement rates and the combat resolution systems used in 'Battle Cry' and 'Memoir '44': My notes

I finally managed to finish word-processing my notes into a series of tables, which I have converted into images (I have yet to work out how to put tables into a blog entry, and this was the only method I could come up with to get around the problem!).

My intention was to compare the movement rates and the combat resolution systems used in BATTLE CRY and MEMOIR '44 to see if there was anything from the latter that I could use to develop my own version of BATTLE CRY. I suspect that some readers will not like the conclusions I have come to ... but this exercise has really helped me to understand Richard Borg's game design philosophy, and has made me realise how simple yet effective the mechanisms he uses are.

Movement distances and combat resolution data:

The effects of woods, forests, orchards, and hedgerows:

The effects of hills and built-up areas:

The effects of waterways, rivers, fields, and rough terrain:

The effects of fences, wire, and fieldworks:

The effects of beaches and oceans

My next step is to try these ideas out with a play-test sometime soon.

2 comments:

  1. Good presentation of the facts Bob.

    I particularly like the opinions expressed in your notes column.

    They will be useful to me when I come to firm up my Napoleonic version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim Duncan,

    I hope they will be of help to you as you develop your Napoleonic version.

    I find that the process of actually setting things down on paper helps me to crystallise my ideas; in fact my notes were a lot more long-winded and word-processing them made me hone them down.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.